Trupanion is an example of an insurance company that really pays claims! Curious about the types of claims we pay? The following are the 10 most expensive claims paid during the month of June, 2010. Good thing all of these people had pet insurance at the time!
- Bronchopneumonia and severe Brachycephalic syndrome
- Osteomyelitis (infection of the bone)
- Post-arrest neurological abnormalities – patellar luxation correction
- Respiratory – Chylothorax (fluid leaks into the lung cavity)
- Degenerative cervical spinal stenosis (the narrowing of the spinal canal in the neck)
- Immune-mediated hemolytic anemia (low number of red blood cells)
- Pyothorax (infection of the chest cavity)
- Intervertebral disc disease (the degeneration of cartilage around the vertebral discs)
- Surgery to remove foreign body in esophagus (Claim costs for foreign body ingestion greatly vary depending on the circumstances. This particular situation may have been more expensive due to a few things: the dog is a small breed; it required surgery at the esophagus. Unfortunately, I could not find out what type of object was swallowed!)
- Atlantoaxial luxation (a condition in which the first two vertebrae are not firmly attached)
Each of these claims ranged from $6,000-$10,000– just for a single incident!