This week’s top 10 has a little twist. We’re featuring the top names of pets that are related to things that our pets should not eat! 🙂
- Lily – this is a very popular pet name, and it should also be known that Lilies (the flowers) can be toxic to cats if eaten. Contact with any part of the plant can cause vomiting and lethargy to your cat and may ultimately lead to kidney failure.
- Sugar – our pets should not be eating sugar as it can be a big contributor to obesity and also cause dental problems or lead to diabetes.
- Whiskey – pets should not be consuming any type of alcohol. It can poison your pet and lead to coma or death.
- Brownie – brownies contain chocolate and sugar.
- Bones – keep cooked bones away from your pets! Try to avoid feeding your dog bones from a cooked turkey or chicken as they can splinter and cause damage to your dog’s internal organs.
- Coffee – our pets should never consume any type of caffeine. It can cause vomiting and diarrhea and damage the nervous system.
- Raisin – raisins and grapes contain a toxin (which is yet to be pinpointed) that causes kidney damage to dogs and cats.
- Tulip – these can cause stomach irritation, vomiting and diarrhea.
- Chocolate – chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine which are both toxic to pets. It can damage the heart and central nervous system and lead to death if consumed in large amounts.
- Sago – this is a type of palm tree plant that you may find in your yard and is very toxic to pets. It contains a chemical called cyasin which can cause permanent liver damage, seizures, coma, and death.
What’s in a name shouldn’t always be in your pet’s tummy, so keep this in mind as a reminder to keep your pet healthy and safe!