Happy Halloween weekend! Today is our office Halloween party here at Trupanion, and for the festivities, I decided to bake some pumpkin dog treats! Many employees brought human treats so I figured I’d satisfy our furry friends as well.
I found a simple dog treat recipe with pumpkin from Dog Treat Kitchen and decided to embark on my second dog treat baking escapade.
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I used all-purpose flour)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup canned pumpkin (only use pure pumpkin puree, not the pie filling)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
Additional flour for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Place all ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Add water as needed to combine the ingredients.
- Roll out dough to 1/4″ thickness and cut with dog cookie cutters.
- Place cookies on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes (if you want a really hard cookie, bake for 5-10 minutes longer).
- Leave in the oven to cool overnight. Or, cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
Unfortunately, I added all ingredients, including water and mixed which left me with a very sticky concoction. I began kneading and my hands were covered in pumpkin-peanut-butter-goo so I continued to add more flour. I ended up adding about a cup and a half more of flour until it finally got to the point that I could work with it.
This was a very easy recipe, except that I used tiny cookie cutters so it took an awful long time to keep stamping out these little treats. I baked for only 15 minutes because the treats were getting brown. They are soft in the middle, more like a real human cookie, but the dogs love them!
I encourage you to give this recipe a try and let us know how it turns out!