As we are all quite aware, the holidays are a busy, bustling time for us with shopping, cooking, cleaning, preparing and hosting that our pets often get overlooked. During this time, it’s easy to overlook common hazards and dangers presented to our pets during this time. A recent article posted by Pawnation inspired this post.
Here are some ideas to get you started and ensure that your holiday is safe and fun for both you and your pet(s).
- Holiday foods: Too many holiday treats such as turkey, gravy, and animal fat can quickly add up to be far more calories than your pet needs. Be sure to monitor the amount of treats given to your pet and keep the onions and chocolate away!
- Decorations: Tinsel and ribbon can cause a tangled mess in the intestines if swallowed by a pet, often requiring surgery. Also be sure to keep fragile glass ornaments out of reach!
- Christmas lights: If you’ve got a new pet or an active chewer, be sure to keep the electrical cords taped down or out of reach, and also give your pet an extra toy or bone to keep his mouth busy.
- Plants: Some common holiday plants that are poisonous to pets include Poinsettias, Lilies, and Mistletoe.
- Garbage: Like foods, your pet may over consume, leading to tummy aches, diarrhea and vomiting. Your pet might also find other surprises that are not good to eat such as cooked poultry bones, onions, and chocolate, all of which are harmful to dogs and cats.
- Alcohol: Alcohol is very dangerous and poisonous to pets, even in very small amounts so it’s best to keep your holiday drinks high out of reach or promptly cleaned when spilled.
For more holiday tips, read last year’s post. Got other tips to share? Let us know in the comments!