Tru Hero Finalist – Dr. Strasser

I rescued her from a shelter when she was a mere six weeks old. She brought me absolute happiness and joy for close to 14 years. We shared so much over the short years we had together…things neither of us could have ever imaged. My Tru Hero isn’t my Rosie Bear or even myself. It is our Veterinarian Dr. Richard Strasser. He had the sad job of diagnosing Rosie with mast cell cancer in her front right paw when she was about 9 years old. He tried so very hard to save that paw but when the only thing left to do was lose her or the leg he willingly did all he could do to give us more time. Following amputation she remained cancer free for almost two years. When the cancer came back with vengeance he once again had the heart breaking job of telling me that it had spread everywhere and that she maybe had 6 more months with me. Blessedly he was wrong and for the next 3 plus some years he fought the fight with us. She would get sick and we would think it was the end but he would do everything possible and she would rebound. This happened countless times and I have to tell you that I think it broke his heart almost as much as it broke mine. Finally one very sad Monday morning I knew she had no more to give me and it was time to let her go to the rainbow bridge. I called the Vet hospital to tell them we were coming in and they told me it was his day off. I knew it couldn’t wait until he was back but I also knew I couldn’t be there with anyone else. He had fought too hard with us to leave the end for someone else be a part of. The girls at the hospital called him and he sadly came in on his day off. Together we said our final goodbye and she went to the rainbow bridge. Dr. Strasser is my hero because I know without all his diligence I would not have had all the years I had with my Rosie.

7 Responses to Tru Hero Finalist – Dr. Strasser

1. CP says:

A very touching story. It’s so heartwarming to hear of those dedicated professionals who do their best for their animal patients.

2. Terry says:

He has taken very good care of my daughter’s paralyzed miniature dachsund,as well.

3. Jacque says:

This is both a very sad story as well as a happy story. I have had a similar experience with our vet Dr. Becker. We have taken our beloved “Lucy” who is 15 years old to Dr. Becker on several occasions thinking that this was going to be her last ride. Each time we have put the decision into Dr. Becker’s hands and she has always said that it’s not time to let her go yet. She has given us several more years with our beloved “Lucy.” We are forever thankful for her knowledge, expertise and love for our baby. I know the day will come that we will have to say goodbye to Lucy but we are thankful for each day of joy and love that she gives to us. I just want to say thank you to Dr. Strasser and Dr. Becker and to all of the loving vets who love our animals and take care of them in their hour of need. Many blessings and joyful thanksgiving to them.

4. kay says:

Rosie was lucky to have the both of you.

5. CS says:

Great story! I was with you first hand through this ordeal – we work together. I know what Rosie and the doc. mean to you…so glad you shared it so willingly with others.

6. Allesa says:

I was one of the very few lucky people who got to work and meet rosie at both vet hospitals. Both Juli and rosie are an inspiration to me. Im am so thankful that i got to be there every step of the way. Rosie was such a sweetheart and is very missed and loved here at our vet office

7. Ada says:

I did not have the pleasure of meeting Rosie but have heard the wonderful stories about her from the staff at Franklin Ranch.
    The love and compassion you gave her is an inspiration to us all. May many more pets be blessed with your kindness :-)