When deciding on a pet insurance provider, it is important to make sure that your pet insurance company of choice is accredited by reputable sources in or related to the industry.
North American Pet Health Insurance Association (NAPHIA) is a group that was founded in 2007 to provide standards for best practices and ethics in the pet health industry and pet insurance in particular. It sets high standards for pet insurance and each company must be approved and meet the following guidelines to become a member of NAPHIA.
The standards of NAPHIA are as follows:
- We will not dictate veterinary fees.
- Clients can choose any veterinarian.
- Veterinarians need not participate in our program, nor will they be exempt if they participate in other PHI programs.
- The member party will make a 3rd party available for all claim disputes.
- Regular claims will be processed within 10 business days (and no longer than 20 days once we have complete information).
Not all pet insurance companies belong to NAPHIA, so be sure to do your research and think about what types of personal standards you expect from a pet insurance company.
To see the full list of NAPHIA members, visit the NAPHIA website.