Dog and cat owners are advised to observe their pets during the winter months for dangers of antifreeze poisoning.
(PR.com) January 17, 2010 —Trupanion, the nation’s fastest growing pet health insurance company, is warning pet owners to beware of the toxic risk of antifreeze to pets. The company has seen 29 cases of antifreeze poisoning since October 1, 2010.
Antifreeze is a common freeze preventative used in car engines. Its sweet scent and taste is appetizing to dogs and cats, who will drink the liquid if left unattended. Antifreeze is extremely toxic and causes kidney failure; even a small amount can be fatal to a pet in just a few days.
The 29 cases of antifreeze poisoning Trupanion has seen since October have generated approximately $21,355 in claims. Treatment for this condition is dependent on how early the pet is seen after ingestion, but may include inducing vomiting, inserting charcoal in the stomach to bind antifreeze in the intestine, kidney dialysis, and even kidney transplantation.
“It’s important for all pet owners to be aware of dangers to their pets that can be found in their own homes,” said Darryl Rawlings, Chief Executive Officer at Trupanion. “Antifreeze is a common household item that can be detrimental to the health of a pet.”
To help guard against poisoning instances, Trupanion recommends the following:
- Keep both new and used antifreeze in sealed containers, out of reach of pets.
- Clean up any spills of antifreeze on driveways and other surfaces.
- Keep pets confined when changing or working with antifreeze.
Trupanion also suggests that if pet owners see their pet drinking antifreeze or think their pet has been exposed to antifreeze, to immediately rush the pet to the veterinarian. Signs of ingestion include:
- Extreme Thirst
- Abdominal Sensitivity
Treatment for antifreeze poisoning needs to begin as soon after ingestion as possible to be effective. Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of all diagnostic testing, treatments, and medications associated with this condition.