A couple weeks ago, Merrick Pet Care recalled their popular pet treats called Junior Texas Taffy. These treats are long and thin, resembling beef jerky, and the recall was due to the possibility that they were infected with salmonella, a serious pet health concern. The company stated that they recalled the product to be cautious, not because any incidents of food poisoning have been reported.
While no illnesses have been reported, it is still essential to dispose of any Junior Texas Taffy treats immediately and safely. If your dogs or cats have come in contact with these treats, monitor them for signs of salmonella. Signs include:
Lack of Appetite
Mucus in Stool
High Heart Rate
Swollen Lymph Nodes
If you fear your pet has salmonella poisoning, take him immediately to the vet. It is likely you will be able to treat your pet at home and not need an overnight stay, as long as you catch the poisoning early.
Also, a quick note: According to PetMD, salmonella is one of the few conditions in pets that can be transferred to humans, so it is even more important to take extra care when cleaning up after your pet.
Heather Kalinowski lives in the Seattle area with her husband, newborn son, and two rescued pups – an Italian Greyhound named Ava and a Spaniel mix named Jackson. She enjoys reading, writing, spending time with her family, and volunteering with Italian Greyhound Rescue.