If your cat is bored and you’re looking for a way to entertain him, there are many ways that you can use household items to create a new toy! This is an inexpensive way for you to express your creativity and give your cat a new toy to play with.
- Toilet paper roll toy – To make this toy, take an empty toilet paper roll and cut slits all around the sides, about 1-2 inches up, to create tabs on either side of the roll. Then fold all of the tabs out to a 90 degree angle. Now your cat has a new toy to bat around! (For pictures and more detailed directions, read the full instructions)
- Empty boxes – Many cats love empty boxes, and the great part is that they are so cheap and easy!
- Pill bottle – Take an empty pill bottle and be sure to clean it out. Put a couple of dry kibble or treats inside and replace the lid. Your cat will enjoy batting around this noisy toy.
- Soda bottle cap – You can make a great toy out of a soda bottle cap (you know the kind used on 2-liter soda bottles?)! Just drill a clean hole through the center and thread a piece of string through the hole. Tie a knot on the end so that the cap will not come off. Hang the other end of the string from a doorway or high place so that your cat can bat it around.
- Old sock – There are many things you can do with those old socks with holes. You can fill it with cat nip and sew up all of the holes. You can also stuff it and sew up the holes, tie it to a string and drag it around the house to bring out the hunting instincts of your cat.
Have you ever made homemade cat toys or do you have any ideas that weren’t listed here? Share them with us in the comments!