Pet Insurance Claim of the Week: Medication Ingestion

Just this week, we posted a blog about how human medications can poison our pets. This week’s claim of the week is for Crowbar the Yorkiepoo that accidentally swallowed some Tylenol. Crowbar needed some medications and activated charcoal therapy. Activated charcoal is often used for toxicity as it is extremely absorbent and can attract the drug that was swallowed.

Pet insurance claim amount: $1,868.00
Deductible applied: -$0.00
Exam fees: -$160.00
10% co-pay: -$170.80
Trupanion repaid: $1,537.20

It is important to keep all medications sealed and kept far out of reach of our pets to prevent poisonings such as this. If you’ve got a pet that tends to gobble up anything that is dropped on the floor, then a good safety precaution is to shut the door while you take medications just in case any should fall on the floor.

Of course, pet insurance can provide good peace of mind in case an accident does occur.

About Stacy @Trupanion

Social Media Manager
Stacy Kowalchuk is a dog mom to her rescued Whippet-mix, Ellie. During the week, you can find Stacy surfing (the internet, that is) and managing Trupanion's presence in the social media world. In her free time, Stacy likes to bake, especially cupcakes! To balance her culinary affinity, she also likes to stay active, especially with activities that include her dog such as hiking and going to dog parks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>