If you are about to bring home a new cat or kitten, there are a few things you need to do in order to prepare. You will experience much less stress if you prepare and get your house completely ready in advance.
- Kitten-proof your home. Young animals are curious creatures and will put just about anything in their mouths. Make sure that any small toys, trinkets, pieces of trash, etc. are all picked up and put away. Be sure that all cleaning supplies and bathroom toiletries are locked away and get into the habit of closing the toilet lid.
- Purchase supplies. Make sure your new kitten has a place to sleep, plenty of toys, a litter box and litter, food, food dishes, a collar and ID tag. It’s also a good idea to consider micro-chipping your new pet.
- Grooming supplies. You may want to purchase a brush, nail clippers, and pet shampoo if you plan on grooming your cat at home.
- Find a veterinarian. Your new pet should be seen by a veterinarian soon after you bring him home. This way, you can build a relationship with the veterinarian and learn about any potential health concerns for your kitten.
- Consider pet insurance. Kittens are mischievous and unpredictable, and you never know when they might swallow some ribbon or come down with an illness. Plus, enrolling your cat while it is a baby will keep your premiums at the cost for a kitten for life!
Are you about to get a new kitten? Or have you been through this and have some tips to share? Leave us a comment below!