Fleas are nasty little blood-suckers that many dog and cat owners are forced to deal with, especially in the spring and summer months. Banfield Pet Hospital recently released a list of interesting, although somewhat disturbing, flea facts that I wanted to share with you:
- Fleas can live in your home, in your carpeting or in your lawn — for several months without food — just waiting to jump onto their next victim.
- Fleas can jump three feet high.
- One female flea can lay as many as 10,000 eggs.
- Fleas not only cause discomfort by biting, but they can transmit diseases like tapeworm and one bite can cause severe allergic problems.
- The largest recorded flea measured 12mm in length — almost 1/2-inch!
- Fleas consume 15 times their weight in blood each day. That is like a 140-pound woman eating 8,400 burgers in one day!
- Fleas are the number one cause of allergies in cats and dogs.
Have you had to deal with a flea infestation? Tell us the story!