Happy Earth Day! Today is a day to inspire environmental awareness and appreciation. It is also a day to take a look at the environmental impact each of us creates. And as pet owners, we should take our pet’s impact into consideration as well.
We recently published a press release on this very subject, encouraging pet owners to start thinking about ways to decrease the impact their petshave on the environment – things like choosing eco-friendly litter for cats and walking their dog instead of driving to a dog park.
DogTime Media had a similar idea as us and recently conducted a survey to determine the top ten things dog owners do to reduce their dog’s carbon footprint. Many of the things they unearthed were included in our press release as well, but there are a couple new ideas. Here are the results*:
10) Use eco-friendly dog accessories
9) Use natural or organic flea medicine
8) Make homemade dog food and dog treats
7) Feed a raw, organic, or holistic diet
6) Use biodegradable or flush-able poop bags
5) Use natural or organic shampoos to keep dogs clean
4) Use eco-friendly cleaning supplies to clean dog messes
3) Reuse leashes, collars, and other dog accessories
2) Keep dogs leashed at all times except in designated off leash areas
Heather Kalinowski lives in the Seattle area with her husband, newborn son, and two rescued pups – an Italian Greyhound named Ava and a Spaniel mix named Jackson. She enjoys reading, writing, spending time with her family, and volunteering with Italian Greyhound Rescue.