Underwritten by American Pet Insurance Company
Barks and Mewsings logo

Welcome to the
Trupanion Blog

Trupanion's Blog is dedicated to help educate people with pet insurance and pet health information, but more importantly, to have fun!

Pet Insurance Claim of the Week: Grape Toxicity

Many pet owners may not be aware that grapes and raisins are fairly toxic to pets. It is still undetermined what exactly causes grapes to be so dangerous. The first signs of grape ingestion are vomiting and diarrhea, loss of appetite and weakness. Grape poisoning can ultimately lead to renal failure.

This week’s featured claim is for not one, but two dogs in the same household that got into some grapes and had to go to the vet! Treatment for grape toxicity included induced vomiting, charcoal pills to absorb the toxins, and IV fluids for both dogs.

Total claim amount for Archie: $1,795.64
Deductible applied: -$0.00
Exam fee: -$79.50
Unrelated charges: -$12.29
10% co-insurance: -$170.39
Trupanion repaid: $1,533.47

Total claim amount for Tae: $2,004.79
Deductible applied: -$0.00
Exam fee: -$79.50
Unrelated charges: -$6.55
10% co-insurance: -$191.87
Trupanion repaid: $1,726.87

About Stacy @Trupanion

Stacy Kowalchuk is a dog mom to her rescued Whippet-mix, Ellie. During the week, you can find Stacy surfing (the internet, that is) and managing Trupanion's presence in the social media world. In her free time, Stacy likes to bake, especially cupcakes! To balance her culinary affinity, she also likes to stay active, especially with activities that include her dog such as hiking and going to dog parks.

2 Responses to Pet Insurance Claim of the Week: Grape Toxicity

  1. Heather R. says:

    This is such a good reminder. Grapes are NOT good for our precious pups. Glad these two made it through okay!

  2. Sara says:

    My little dog filed a few claims with you after a well-meaning friend shared grapes with her at a get-together at my house. Unfortunately, I didn’t find out about her dangerous treat until the next morning when she was not well. I took her to the vet, found her kidney values were elevated, and eventually pieced together what had happened. Thankfully she recovered with treatment– but grapes are now banned from our home! Otherwise, it would worry me constantly that another friend might decide to share a treat with the dog without knowing how dangerous something as seemingly innocent as a grape can be.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

4 − 2 =

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>