Pet Insurance Claim of the Week: Foreign Body Ingestion (pin) - The Trupanion Blog
Underwritten by American Pet Insurance Company

Pet Insurance Claim of the Week: Foreign Body Ingestion (pin)

Warning: Not for the faint of heart. Don’t continue reading if you’ve got a weak stomach.

Delilah is a 2-year-old Australian Shepherd whose most recent pet insurance claim is for a foreign body swallow. Delilah swallowed a pin which unfortunately caused some damage to her insides. The claim description is “perforating foreign body” and we’ll leave it as that as far as details go.

Her owners noticed Delilah becoming a little sluggish in the afternoon and she refused to eat her dinner. The veterinarian noted that she was tense upon abdominal palpation and after X-rays, it was determined that she had a metallic foreign body in her stomach.

Delilah was brought to the emergency veterinarian for surgery. She spent two days in hospitalization but is on her way to recovery and should be just fine!

When a foreign body penetrates the bowels, it is called septic abdomen and can lead to bacteria entering the abdominal cavity. It can lead to serious infection. As bacterial toxins are absorbed into the bloodstream, it can lead to kidney and liver failure and eventually fatality.

Delilah was brought into the vet at such an early stage that she was able to recover very well from surgery. She was able to go home with a prescription of antibiotics for two weeks.

Total claim amount: $5,969.61
Deductible applied: -$0.00
Exam fees: -$311.25
10% co-insurance: -$565.84
Trupanion repaid: $5,092.52

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Captcha loading...