As I was going through the claims, one particularly caught my eye. Suspected salmon poisoning. “Hmm,” I thought. “Can dogs be poisoned by salmon?”
After a quick internet search, I learned that it is true, pets can become poisoned by salmon! Accordnig to the WSU Vetmed website, salmon and some other fish can be infected with a parasite that is typically harmless to dogs. However, if the parasite itself is infected with an organism called Neorickettsia helminthoeca (say that five times fast) then it can be very dangerous to dogs. Cats and other animals can eat the raw fish without consequence as salmon poisoning only affects dogs.
Symptoms of salmon poisoning include vomiting, fever, diarrhea, weakness and dehydration. Without treatment, the condition can quickly turn fatal. The condition is diagnosed via fecal sample.
Cade is a young Golden Retriever who recently experienced suspected salmon poisoning.
Total claim amount: $2,643.29
Deductible applied: -$250.00
Exam fees: -$99.00
Unrelated charges (routine care): -$40.10
10% co-insurance: -$225.42
Trupanion repaid: $2,028.77