Underwritten by American Pet Insurance Company
Barks and Mewsings logo

Welcome to the
Trupanion Blog

Trupanion's Blog is dedicated to help educate people with pet insurance and pet health information, but more importantly, to have fun!

Pet Health Concerns: Grape and Raisin Toxicity

Dog and Cat on a BlanketGrape and raisin toxicity is a health condition that can affect any pet of any breed, dog or cat. When a grape or raisin is consumed by a dog or cat, a toxic reaction occurs that poses a serious health risk. This toxicity results in the pet developing acute renal failure (sudden kidney failure) with anuria (a lack of urine production), usually within 48 hours of ingestion.

Other symptoms of this condition include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Weakness
  • Refusal to eat
  • Increased thirst
  • Abdominal pain

If grape or raisin ingestion is suspected, the pet should be taken to a veterinarian, who will most likely induce vomiting in the pet with the use of hydrogen peroxide or apomorphine. Charcoal pills can absorb the remaining toxins, and often, intravenous fluid therapy is needed.

The cost of treatment can range from $100 to over $1,700, depending on the severity of the condition.

Have you ever had a pet that suffered from grape or raisin toxicity?

About Heather @FamilyAndFur

Heather Kalinowski lives in the Seattle area with her husband, newborn son, and two rescued pups – an Italian Greyhound named Ava and a Spaniel mix named Jackson. She enjoys reading, writing, spending time with her family, and volunteering with Italian Greyhound Rescue. Google+

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


− 1 = 1

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>