By now, most pet owners are aware that chocolate is poisonous to dogs and cats, however there are many other human foods that are also very toxic to our pets.
- Chocolate – Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, both of which are toxic to pets. Dark chocolate and baker’s chocolate are more dangerous because they contain higher amounts. Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting and a rapid heart rate.
- Alcohol – Even a small amount may cause vomiting, liver damage, and brain damage for pets.
- Raisins and grapes – While it hasn’t been determined the exact cause, grapes and raisins can lead to kidney failure in our furry friends. Vomiting and lethargy are key indicators that your pet may have been poisoned by grapes or raisins.
- Onions and garlic – All forms of onions and garlic (raw, powdered, cooked) can destroy a dog or cat’s red blood cells and lead to anemia. Symptoms include vomiting, weakness, and breathlessness.
- Avocado – These contain a substance called persin which can be toxic to pets in large amounts. Not only is persin in the fruit itself, but can also be found in the leaves and pit.
- Chewing gum – Chewing gum is often sweetened with xylitol which is poisonous to pets and can cause liver failure. Symptoms of xylitol poisoning include vomiting, weakness, and loss of muscle coordination. Seizures are a more severe symptom.
- Fat trimmings and bones – Not only is fat unhealthy for our pets to eat, but it can cause pancreatitis. Leftover bones can be a choking hazard for pets, but also can splinter when chewed and cause internal puncture wounds in your pet’s digestive system.
- Nuts – Walnuts and macadamia nuts, raw or roasted, can make pets seriously ill so it is best to keep these nuts and foods containing them away from your pets. Symptoms of poisoning include rapid heart rate, vomiting, muscle tremors and muscle weakness.
- Milk and dairy products – Dairy products can cause diarrhea, gastrointestinal upset, and possible food allergies in your pet. It is best to try to avoid giving milk and dairy to your pet.
- Salt – Avoiding salty foods will keep your pet’s body healthy. Too much salt can cause excessive thirst and urination and may lead to sodium ion poisoning. Your pet may show symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body temperature, and seizures if it has ingested too much salt.
Have you ever had experience with a pet eating one of these foods?