Top 10 Human Foods Not For Pets

By now, most pet owners are aware that chocolate is poisonous to dogs and cats, however there are many other human foods that are also very toxic to our pets.

1. Chocolate – Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, both of which are toxic to pets. Dark chocolate and baker’s chocolate are more dangerous because they contain higher amounts. Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting and a rapid heart rate.
  2. Alcohol – Even a small amount may cause vomiting, liver damage, and brain damage for pets.
  3. Raisins and grapes – While it hasn’t been determined the exact cause, grapes and raisins can lead to kidney failure in our furry friends. Vomiting and lethargy are key indicators that your pet may have been poisoned by grapes or raisins.
  4. Onions and garlic – All forms of onions and garlic (raw, powdered, cooked) can destroy a dog or cat’s red blood cells and lead to anemia. Symptoms include vomiting, weakness, and breathlessness.
  5. Avocado – These contain a substance called persin which can be toxic to pets in large amounts. Not only is persin in the fruit itself, but can also be found in the leaves and pit.
  6. Chewing gum – Chewing gum is often sweetened with xylitol which is poisonous to pets and can cause liver failure. Symptoms of xylitol poisoning include vomiting, weakness, and loss of muscle coordination. Seizures are a more severe symptom.
  7. Fat trimmings and bones - Not only is fat unhealthy for our pets to eat, but it can cause pancreatitis. Leftover bones can be a choking hazard for pets, but also can splinter when chewed and cause internal puncture wounds in your pet’s digestive system.
  8. Nuts – Walnuts and macadamia nuts, raw or roasted, can make pets seriously ill so it is best to keep these nuts and foods containing them away from your pets. Symptoms of poisoning include rapid heart rate, vomiting, muscle tremors and muscle weakness.
  9. Milk and dairy products – Dairy products can cause diarrhea, gastrointestinal upset, and possible food allergies in your pet. It is best to try to avoid giving milk and dairy to your pet.
  10. Salt – Avoiding salty foods will keep your pet’s body healthy. Too much salt can cause excessive thirst and urination and may lead to sodium ion poisoning. Your pet may show symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body temperature, and seizures if it has ingested too much salt.

Have you ever had experience with a pet eating one of these foods?

Source http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/slideshow-foods-your-dog-should-never-eat

17 Responses to Top 10 Human Foods Not For Pets

1. Al says:

Dairy products are not bad for dogs. Yogurt contains probiotics to help maintain proper bacteria levels in a dog’s stomach. Milk, especially goat’s milk, contains tons of healthy bacteria as well as protein and enzymes that dogs need. While some stomachs may not tolerate dairy, it is not safe to say that all pets should avoid it. My dogs each get about 1-1.5 cups of raw goat’s milk a day and have normal stool, shiny coats, and overall great health.

• Natasha says:

I absolutely agree. I sell homemade dog food for a living and the woman before me who started this business has degree’s in nutrition and in totally we have been in business 17yrs. We have been adding dairy to the food (as in yogurt and cottage cheese) and I even sell smoothies. I’ve had nothing but healthy thriving dogs. I’m not saying there are not some that may have a sensitivity but for the average dog it is healthy.

2. Cathy says:

I have three recipe books written by veterinarians, and all of them include recipes that contain garlic and yogurt.

3. angela says:

Actually al, dairy is bad for dogs. Humans weren’t even meant to consume milk. Keifr is a better form of “yogurt” and as for the probiotics, I take a non dairy pill form. Same benefits, but better for your health. :)

4. laure says:

What about sour cherries from a neighbor’s tree? They drop by the cupful, by the hour, and I worry my dog shouldn’t be eating them. I pick up as much as I can before I let him out, but he gets a lot, too. Anyone know about cherries being safe or unsafe for dogs?

5. Brant says:

Great list! I always try to advise our clients on the importance of knowing what to feed and not feed their pets. Most are shocked at the harm grapes and nuts can do.

6. Christa Kumar says:

“Dairy” in most cases is not harmful to dogs in reasonable (small) quantities. However , just as people can be lactose intolerant, so can dogs. In that case,I’m sure , the intolerance will soon be discovered ,likely with diarrhea at first. My dog loves yoghurt and cheese .

7. guido susi says:

I give my Yorky bella lactaid milk . she loves it and is in great health.

8. Joe Cocker says:

I love dairy. I have a milk mustache right now. Woof!

9. Dee says:

Does anyone know if green peas are good or bad for my 4 small dogs? I would like to mix peas with their dry food. thanks

10. Divya Ahuja says:

I have a 9year Old Labrador, he loves eating mango,boiled potatoes, coconut water, coconut, Bread and milk.. Are these things harmful for him… If he can eat these things,what quantity should be given???

Hi Divya, great questions! Certain fruits and vegetables can supplement a dog’s diet and provide vitamins and nutrients. You can find a list of these here: http://trupanion.com/pet-care/fruits-and-veggies-for-pets
      As for other items such as bread, milk, and potatoes: if your dog doesn’t have any diarrhea or adverse reactions to them, then they are fine to feed in moderation. Think of them like treats, meaning you should only give them in small amounts, every once in a while.

11. Steven says:

One thing I thought I’d mention – just because your dog isn’t showing any signs does not mean that they are OK internally. Some allergies (and I hate the term allergy or sensitivity because it really is just a matter that humans/dogs should not eat certain things) can take years to manifest into actual symptoms. A person can do drugs for years without showing any physical signs, but is that a reason to do drugs? So, why feed your dogs things like dairy when you know it is not good for them? Even if you are on board with the probiotics theory, dairy is no good for humans or dogs, both species survived for millennia without drinking the milk of a cow. Just stick to the safe list, your dog and their digestive system need nothing more than basic fresh meat and vegetables (even the vegetables are in question as to whether the dog can actually absorb the vitamins/nutrients properly).

12. Colin says:

I am having trouble finding info about QUANTITIES of forbidden food. Would never dream of feeding onions, grapes, sultanas, chocolate, or macadamia nuts, to my 25 kilogramme Australian Cattle Dog but would a desert spoon of home made nutritious soup that had one onion in 4 litres be harmful ? Would a couple of teaspoonfuls of milk on dry dog food be a hazard ? If she ‘accidentally -on -purpose’ gets hold of one chocolate biscuit or that fell to the floor need I give her an emetic ? Cheese in small portions as a reward and cooked vegetables in small quantities go down well. Bananas are top of the hit parade but she only gets a half inch slice. How paranoid do I have to be ?

Hi Colin,
      Thanks for this great question! As far as vegetables and bananas, you should be okay feeding as much as you’d like, so long as your dog’s stomach can handle it. Chocolate is dangerous in stronger doses, so pure dark chocolate or baker’s chocolate is worse than something like chocolate cake which is comprised of flour, eggs, sugar, etc. This chart may help: http://trupanion.com/pet-care/chocolate-toxicity

Milk is generally okay in small doses, but I would advise avoiding onion as much as possible because they can cause anemia.