Tru Hero finalist: Zedd and Dr. Borque

Last year my five year old cat Zedd was not acting like his usual self; he had almost no appetite and had been losing weight slowly for a few months. We had been tempting him with treats to get some food into him but on December 17th he had gone to ground under the bed and refused to come out. We packed up and went to work worried about Zedd, and managed to get time off to go home and take him to the vet. We called various pet clinics and no one would see us except a vet in another town that we had never met before, she fit him in as an emergency just before the clinic closed. Upon arrival she did a physical and things looked grim as Zedd began to poop bloody feces on the exam table, was lethargic and depressed. Dr. Bourque immediately took him into intensive care and began performing all the necessary tests on Zedd even though I had broken down and told her we didn’t have the money to save him. The results came back as hepatic lipidosis which had the potential to be fatal if she didn’t intervene.

Dr. Borque invited us to come in and spend time with him whenever possible to boost his spirits; she even let us sit with him all day on Sunday when the clinic was closed. Zedd made it through his five days in intensive care (with the ever present Dr. watching him through a webcam at night) and came home with us just in time for Christmas on the 22nd. Dr. Borque explained his aftercare to me, showed us how to give him a saline injection with a big scary needle and IV bag once a day, how to force feed him, and all the other pills and vitamins he needed daily, along with his every-other hour feeding schedule. When the IV line broke on Christmas eve I emailed her in a panic (24 hour email access to her the whole time) as we were just packing up Zedd and all of our Christmas gear to go to my Mom’s house for the holidays. Dr. Borque waited for me to drive the 30 minutes to give me a new IV line.

Dr. Borque is an amazing vet with a passion for her patients like I’ve never seen before. Even though she had never seen us or any of our animals before she treated us kindly and with a great deal of respect through the hospital stay, and was always ready with a joke to help us smile through our tough time. I don’t know how I could thank her enough for the best Christmas present ever given to our family.

Zedd is back to ruling his roost as the robust 20lb cat he was before his ordeal, during which his weight dropped down to 10lbs, and he has no one to thank other than the wonderful Dr. Miranda Borque.

-Chelsea from Okotoks, AB

33 Responses to Tru Hero finalist: Zedd and Dr. Borque

1. Chelsea says:

Yay go Zedd and Doctor Borque!

2. Dee says:

Awesome Story!, Its always stressful when a kitty is sick. To have an amazing vet just makes it so much better. Im glad Zeddy is all better. Kudos to a great vet in the midst of so many that arent

3. Steve H says:

Such an amazing story, you are truly lucky to have a vet as caring as Dr. Borque. I wish Zedd good health and many more years with your family :)

4. Chelsea deserves to win, touching story…

5. Steph says:

I have seen Dr. Bourque go above and beyond for complete strangers more than once. She is someone to greatly valued as your pet “Aunty”.

6. valery rogers says:

I am Chelseas Mom and I can attest to how sick her kitty was as she brought him home for Christmas, and we did around the clock care to get him well. The Dr was amazing!

7. Christine says:

Chelsea definitely deserves to win! What an amazing doctor, it’s nice to know there’s still amazing vets out there.

8. Claire says:

We as staff love Foothills Animal Hospital and think Dr.Bourque is an amazing doctor and feel very priveleged to work for such a wonderful talented doctor!!!

9. Rick Rheubottom says:

Nice story and even nicer result. This is a winning result regardless.

10. Dre says:

I have had experience with amazing vets in my life and think they deserve to be acknowledged and appreciated for their hard work, dedication and love.

11. brenda says:

What a terrific story about Zedd and Dr Borque. I have 2 cats that I dont know what I would do if I did not have them. Dr Borque is a credit to her profession.

12. Emilee says:

I’m glad Zedd pulled through, Dr.Borque sounds like a special veterinarian :D

13. jessica says:

YAY! GO Zedd GO! Nice to see Vets that truly only have a care for their patients and want the best for the animal!

14. Lisa says:

Go Zedd and Dr. Borque

15. Linda says:

Awwwwww, I forgot about poor sick Zedd. So happy he pulled through! Dr Bourque obviously is serving her true passion!

16. Gord says:

It is great to see that people truly care for animals. Great story.

17. Amanda says:

YAY! It is so nice to hear when people notice and appreciate Dr. Bourque for her willingness to go that extra mile for her patients.It certainly does not go unotice here at Foothills Animal Hospital, and we are so happy that Zedd is doing so well!

18. Michael Kamelchuk says:

a great story about compassion!!

19. Pam says:

It sounds like Dr. Bourque is a true hero. It is such a touching story and it seems Dr. Bourque has total commitment to her patients and is so caring and compassionate. She would well deserve this award. Lucky for Zedd you were able to find a doctor like her.

20. AJ says:

Way to GO!

21. Fay says:

Way to go

22. Nancy says:

I remember how devastated Chelsea was when Zedd got so sick and I honestly didn’t think he was going to make it. I’m glad that Dr. Borque was there to help and I believe her caring and compassion are why Zedd is here today.

23. Ursula says:

Awesome story – I love happy endings and Dr Bourque is certainly a hero.

24. Kat says:

Dr Borque took such good care of Zedd, I’m glad Zedd is back to being Zedd!

25. Claudette Jackson says:

Well a cat is a wonderful pet, and its good the vet wasn’t just all about money. Glad to hear your kitty is okay!!

26. Kelly says:

I <3 kitties. Loved reading your post

27. Susan Gibson says:

sounds like the vet is a great person not just a great vet. Glad that Zedd recovered and is a happy kitty once again.

28. Pamela says:

What an amazing story! Thanks for sharing! I know I would be horrified if anything happened to my kitty……especially at Christmas. It is nice to know some vets care more about animals than about anything else.

29. Jenna says:

Wow! So wonderful.

30. John says:

It’s great to hear stories like that first thing in the morning!

31. I realize the contest is over, and my Kumbi and I were entrants, for Saseenos Veterinary Services, Sooke, B.C. However, I kept wanting to comment on Zedd’s story! Now that the contest is over, perhaps I can do that!

This is really an amazing story. Very beautiful, indeed. Dr. Borque was just fabulous for you and Zedd, Chelsea.

From the email Stacy sent to us, I gather the hospital is Foothills Animal Hospital. That’s good to know, in case anybody around your area (Okotoks, AB) needs a good vet in a hurry!

Thanks for entering the contest and telling Zedd’s story!
    Fri, 21 Oct 2011 07:13:20