FDA Warns About Chicken Jerky Dog Treats

Does your dog enjoy some good jerky treats? You may want to check the labels and be cautious about what’s on your shelves.

The FDA has noticed an increase in dogs getting sick from chicken jerky products made in China. No specific contaminant has been found but the FDA is now investigating over 70 cases linked to chicken products from China. While there has been no official recall, they are issuing a warning to dog owners regarding the treats.

Some signs your pet may have been affected are symptoms of vomiting, increased thirst and urination, decreased appetite and decreased activity. If you notice these or other symptoms, take your dog to the veterinarian immediately.

It is advised to report all cases to the FDA and in the meantime, keep the chicken jerky away and look for safer treats for your furry friend.

6 Responses to FDA Warns About Chicken Jerky Dog Treats

1. TriPom Chews says:

I just worked a craft show over Thanksgiving weekend. I had flyers about the recent 2011 FDA warning about Chinese chicken treats and was giving them out and educating anyone I could stop who answered “yes” to the question, “do you have a dog or cat?”

A groomer I spoke with that weekend told me that she had a client whose dog just passed away from Chinese chicken. My dogs are my children, truly. I can only imagine how devastating that was for that family…

If you’re looking for a REAL ‘American Made’ chicken treat, we started making our own Chicken Jerky after we ran across the FDA warning of 2008 about Chinese chicken treats making dogs sick or killing them. It turned into a cottage business and we now sell our TriPom Chews in 20 stores in the New England area. Our products are the only ‘Maine Made’, ‘American Made’, chicken jerky produced from whole, restaurant-quality chicken breasts containing NO Additives and NO Preservatives. We had to make them super wholesome as our 3 Pomeranians (our babies) taste test every batch for quality.

2. TriPom Chews says:

There is a NEW article on MSNBC which reports that the FDA is now saying that 353 dogs have gotten sick or died from eating Chinese chicken treats this year.

Personally, I think the number of dogs sick this year is well over one thousand from the number of websites I’ve visited where I have seen dogs that are ill or that have died being discussed. I am almost certain it is something the Chinese are feeding the poultry used for their treats.

Did you know, according to Wikipedia and a New York Times article, that the Chinese fed Melamine to livestock? Melamine, as you may know, was the non-listed ingredient responsible for the pet food recall a few years ago. If you haven’t, you should search for “Melamine” on Wikipedia and read the article.

Melamine is a principal ingredient in making Formica countertops and causes kidney failure if eaten. The Chinese were also caught putting Melamine into kids’ milk and infant formula.

The only truly safe treat is one that you make yourself or that you buy from a company you trust. We make and sell our own chicken jerky, TriPom Chews, and only buy from other “Mom & Pop” sized treat makers that we have met or spoke with.

3. TriPom Chews says:

Update: U.S. Senator Calls FDA on the Carpet with Chinese Jerky Treats. On Feb. 6, Ohio Senator Sherrod Brown sent a letter to Commissioner of the FDA, Dr. Margaret Hamburg, urging the FDA to promptly pursue efforts to find the contaminant in these pet treats and ensure that they are pulled from store shelves. Click here for the article. As individuals and as a business (TriPom Chews) that makes SAFE, real ‘American Made’ chicken jerky, we educate people on the dangers of Chinese treats and commend, and fully support, Sen. Brown’s efforts. Contact your Representatives in Congress at Congress.org. Together we CAN make a difference and keep our pets SAFE.

4. P. Bron says:

Where can I go to purchase TriPom Chews in Michigan?

5. J.D. Wargo says:

What brands are not made in China and are good for my dog. He is a 3 year old Rottie and he to is my best friend and dont want some chinese chicken making him sick. We live in Texas 6 months and Oklahoma for 6 months, those chicken jerky is his favorite snack.
    Thanks

6. norma king says:

I’m trying to find out if Gourmet Chicken Fillets by Petkiss have been recalled. The ex. date says 2008. I can’t find anything about them having a problem with them. China does this to a pet what are they doing to us?