Now that the holiday season is in full swing and our homes are fully decorated, it’s a good idea to inventory plant decorations that are new to your pet’s environment which may cause problems.
Here are a few to watch out for:
- Poinsettias – While this festive plant is not poisonous to pets, this or any other plant may cause gastrointestinal upset if your pet ingests some of the leaves as it is foreign to their digestive system.
- Mistletoe – Make sure it’s safely fastened to the ceiling because if your pet gets a mouthful, it can experience an upset digestive system as well as possible irregular heartbeats and cardiac shock.
- Holly – Not only would the leaves be painful to swallow, but they are also somewhat toxic to pets if they are ingested. Holly berries may cause symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea.
- Christmas tree – fir tree oils as well as needles from a tree can cause irritation to the stomach.
- Tree water – be sure to cover the water for your tree as this can also cause harm to your pet especially if there are pesticides and fertilizers from the tree.
If you’ve got a pet that loves to chew and eat foreign objects, then it’s best to supervise them. We wish you a safe and happy holiday season!