Winter is in full force and many areas are already seeing lots of snow! Here are a few tips to help keep your pets safe and warm through the cold winter blizzards.
- Stay warm! Be sure to keep kitties inside and make dog potty trips short and quick.
- Wear a jacket. If you plan on being outside for longer periods with your dog, be sure that he can handle the cold. Some dog breeds like Huskies have thick coats that are made for cold weather. If your dog has a thinner coat, consider buying a sweater or jacket for your pup.
- Wipe off paws after coming inside. Whether your dog’s paws have collected salt, sand, or clumps of snow, it’s important to wipe all of these off before coming inside. Some salts or de-icing chemicals can burn your dog’s paws.
- Keep an ID tag on your pets. It is easier for pets to become lost during the winter months when snow and ice cover up scent trails that they use to find their way home.
- Never leave pets alone in a car. Cars not only get too hot in the summer, but will also get very cold in the winter. It’s best to leave pets at home where they can stay warm.
Do you have other pet tips to share with us? Let us know by leaving a comment!