Pets have a special place in our lives and many pet owners want to celebrate the wonderful bond they have developed with their pet by throwing a birthday party or “gotcha day” celebration. If you’re one of the many pet owners who celebrates your pet’s life each year, we‘ve got 10 great ideas just for you. Your pet is certain to enjoy his or her special day!
- King/Queen for a day – Pamper your precious pet with lots of love, attention, and play time. Your furry pal will feel extra special and appreciated because your love is the best gift you can give.
- Birthday party – Many pet owners choose to celebrate by throwing a birthday party for their pet. You can invite some of your pet’s closest animal and human friends to join in the festivities. Don’t forget the party hats!
- Sing a song – It’s a tradition in many countries to sing a birthday song to the birthday boy or girl (or pet!), so why not sing to your pet? Better yet, make up a new song just for your special four-legged friend.
- Bake a cake – Whether you look up a pet-friendly cake recipe, or just adorn a can of your dog/cat’s favorite wet food with some pieces of kibble and a birthday candle, your pet is certain to enjoy this special meal!
- Give gifts – It’s time to go out and buy that super-awesome dog or cat toy that you’ve been eyeing at the pet store! Some pets will even unwrap gifts themselves, but be sure to supervise and make sure they don’t swallow the paper or ribbons.
- Exercise your pet – Take your dog for a jog or out to the park and break out your cat’s favorite toys for some good, old-fashioned exercise. Your pet will enjoy burning off the extra energy from his/her birthday cake!
- Take pictures – The guest of honor deserves to be in the spotlight all day, so get glammed up and snap away! Be sure to share your photos with the world! Or at least our Facebook page…
- Get creative – Get in touch with your creative side by making something for for your pet. Some ideas: Consider knitting, crocheting, or sewing a special pet blanket. Build a dog house. Make homemade pet toys. Make a personalized picture frame for a photo of your pet on his birthday. The possibilities are endless!
- Snuggle time – Take an afternoon cat nap or dog snooze to spend some down-time with your pet and allow them to rest after all of the day’s excitement.
- Donate to charity - Give back to needy pets by donating to a local pet shelter or charity in your pet’s name. What better way to honor your pet than by giving to pets that are less fortunate?
Do you have any other ideas to add?