Becoming a first-time cat owner is an exciting time, but it can certainly raise many questions. Is my home kitten-proof? How do I care for my new pet? Where do I begin?
We’ve put together a basic checklist of the major responsibilities of being a new cat owner. Check them off and enjoy your new kitten!
- Exam: The first step in bringing home a new kitten is to get your pet a veterinary examination to ensure good health. Your veterinarian will get your kitten started on vaccines as well as check for feline leukemia virus and feline immunodeficiency virus.
- Preventives: Besides vaccines,your veterinarian will also check for fleas and parasites. It is recommended to administer monthly flea and heartworm preventives year-round.
- Kitten-proofing: Before bringing home your new friend, be sure to clean up any small objects or string-like objects. Also check for house plants which may be poisonous to your cat, loose power chords, and other potential hazards.
- Diet: Be sure to feed your kitten high-quality kitten food until he reaches about 1 year of age.
- Litter box training: Most kittens are easily to litter box train, but if your kitten misses the litter box, consider using a different type of litter
- Socialize: It’s important to socialize your kitten with humans and the world in which they live so that they can become comfortable in their surroundings. Be sure to spend lots of time with your furry friend, introduce him to family members, and allow him to explore his new world.
- Toys: Of course, your new little buddy needs some toys to play with! Get him something that he can scratch as well as something he can chase. And any other toys that look too cute to pass up!
Is there anything you would add to this list? Share it with us!