Pet Insurance Month 2012 Finalist: Anna and Gypsie

September is Pet Insurance Month and in honor of this, Trupanion celebrated the special bond that we have with our pets. We collected your stories explaining how your pet changed your life. It wasn’t easy, but we chose our top 5 finalists and Anna’s story is one of them.

Growing up in Lafayette, Indiana without siblings can be lonely and living in the country while attending a city school lead me to realize how without companionship I was. Until one fateful day when my mother picked me up from pre-school and took me to get puppy food. “Why are we doing this?,” I asked her. Only the instructions of patience then silence were my responses on that long (fifteen minute) drive home.

Then, there she was – in a tiny cardboard box on the kitchen floor. Her pink blanket complemented her white fur and black spots. “Her name is Gypsie. Would you like to hold her?,” offered my father. From that moment (and for the next 14 years) I had a best friend for whom to call mine. And a best friend, she truly was. She rode by my side in my electronic jeep, watched vigilantly while I dressed my Barbie, and helped me draw by only leaving the colors of crayons she thought I should use (and eating the others).

And as I grew, she was a shoulder to lean on when my grandparents passed away, when my best (human) friend moved to another school district, and when my mother spent weeks in the hospital.

Suddenly high school activities and busy times with friends left less time for our friendship – but when I returned home each day, there she was at her post by the fence, waiting for my arrival. College quickly followed and the big “scary” move away from home. So far, this was the saddest day of our friendship. After the celebration of getting into college followed by the sorrow of losing the scholarship that was going to pay for it, her human was moving away.

I came home as often as I could to discuss life with her: boyfriends, employment, and what career I should choose; nonetheless, she spent hours sitting by the fence waiting for me to return until one day I returned home and she wasn’t by the fence any longer. She was inside, nestled in my father’s lap, and the tears slowly rode down my cheeks as my father told me how she had seizured the night before and he thought we had lost her. After the mad dash to the vet, I discovered that my best friend had a heart condition, and I chose to let her leave this world peacefully on June 6th of that year – just one month shy of age fourteen. In the sadness that followed her passing, I realized that she had taught me a valuable lesson about love and loss – and it was that day that I vowed to be a veterinarian.

I am currently a veterinary student, and I thank my childhood buddy each day for giving me the motivation to follow a dream that she helped cultivate. Her loss was devastating; but because of her, I have the tools at hand to save other’s best friends. And for that, I love her more each day.

If Anna’s story is your favorite, vote for it by clicking the Facebook ‘Like’ button on this post.

Read the full details and rules here.

23 Responses to Pet Insurance Month 2012 Finalist: Anna and Gypsie

1. Rebecca says:

Very nice story, Anna!

• Deidra says:

Anna, your story of your love, patience, need,desire, no wonder Gypsie loved and needed you, as much as you needed her.
      It broke my heart reading the words of your Grandparents, then the schlorship lose, your going away to school. You have3 written in an expert way, and with depth of all human hearts.
      I pray the day will come for you to have another pet, util that day good luck in school, and forward to a beautiful life.

God bless you.

d

2. Dana Goad says:

Anna- this is a lovely story and I knew all the time how much you really loved Gypsie. You stood with her to the very end. You are doing a great thing for taking all these years to become a vet. I am sure you will become a vet with special love and care for all animals you treat.

3. Donna Moore says:

Beautiful story Anna! Gypsie was very lucky to have you as a best friend also! Once I get a doggy, I know who I’ll choose for a vet =)!

4. Rose Stingley says:

Anna, what a lovely story. When my family was faced with putting our beloved Jordan down, you were the student that was there to assist the Dr. You showed such compassion and caring to our family and to Jordan. There is no doubt in my mind that you are doing exactly what you were meant to do.

5. Laurie Wigent says:

I know how much you loved Gypsie from the day you got her and how you loved her to the end. I remember you telling me about your new puppy at Grandmas. How much love one little girl had for her puppy. As we all could see that grow through Gypsie’s life and yours.

6. nickole huffman says:

Hope you win!! Best wishes.

This counts as my vote. :)

7. Shirley Linderleaf says:

8. Shirley Linderleaf says:

Anna, Your story was very touching. As you know my resent events with Max…Dogs do teach you unforgotten lessons and yes you and Gypsie had something special it’s called unconditional love. I call it special effects.

9. Ashley Jennings says:

Way to make me cry! :) Beautiful story, and I remember from PU just how much you LOVED your furbaby :) Good luck and I hope you win!

10. Eric says:

Great story Anna! I’m sure that you will be a fantastic veterinarian and I hope the vets that care for my two puppies have the same heart and goodness in them that you do.

11. Clare says:

What a heartwarming story, Anna. It sounds like you were both very lucky to have one another.

12. Bruce Walter says:

Anna, I now know why you have dalmation furry babies! Such a heart felt and poignant story you have shared about the unconditional love of our dogs toward their family members! As I type this my loving daschund sits on my lap. Thanks for sharing this moving story with us!!!

13. christina anderson says:

you win!

14. Edward Reece says:

You are awesome and this article is fantastic!

15. Fantastic story about a wonderful dog.Gypsie taught all of us a great deal about life and love.

16. Brooke says:

Anna! This story made me cry! Beautiful!

17. Brandon H says:

Great story Anna! Good luck!

18. Peter Alexis Limon says:

It was wonderful!

19. Tom Jonker says:

great story brought back memories of my childhood dog!

20. Hali Yang says:

Anna – it was a really touching story and I can tell you really loved Gypsie! She’s looking down at you from dog heaven! Best of luck with vet school, you’ll be an awesome vet!

21. Robyn Malo says:

Good luck, Anna!

22. Elizabeth (Goad) Prohosky says:

I know Anna as a very compassion and loving person and she’ll make a wonderful vet! I knew that she grew up with pets and her story tells of her compassion for Gypsie.