After coming across a news article about a dog that passed away after biting a toad, I thought this was a very important issue to share.
The Bufo toad is a large brown or grayish-brown toad that can be found in south Florida. When they feel threatened, the toad can actually “shoot” bufo toxin which is very toxic to dogs, cats, and even humans. For pets, it can cause seizures, coma, and even death; and skin irritation to humans. While the toxin is much more dangerous to smaller dogs, larger dogs can also face severe consequences.
Bufo toads are mostly seen during the rainy season (May to October) and usually at night. They are also attracted by pet food, so it’s important to eliminate any potential food sources that might attract the toads. While these toads do not offensively attack, it’s important to accompany your pet outdoors at night to ensure that your curious pet doesn’t lick or bite a toad.
Symptoms of bufo poisoning include foaming at the mouth, difficulty breathing, convulsions, vomiting, and difficulty walking. If you suspect your pet has come in contact with a Bufo toad, it’s important to act fast. Wash its mouth and paws and immediately take him/her to a veterinarian.