This week’s featured pet insurance claim is about an 8-month-old Pug named Georgie. Georgie unfortunately recently ate some bread dough which made him very sick.
During the holiday season with all the extra baking, it’s important to keep dough out of pets’ reach. Yeast in rising dough converts sugars into ethanol. When yeast dough is consumed by a pet, the warmth of his/her belly promotes fermentation of ethanol and can lead to ethanol toxicosis.
The first signs of yeast dough ingestion are vomiting and gas. When toxicosis sets in, the animal will display behavioral changes such as loss of coordination and loss of bladder control. It’s important to seek veterinary care immediately.
Georgie was rushed to the emergency veterinary clinic where he received immediate care including IV fluids and medication.
Georgie has recovered and is now home to enjoy the holidays and being a puppy.
Total claim amount: $880.13
Deductible applied: -$0
Exam fees: -$66.43
10% co-insurance: -$81.37
Trupanion repaid: $732.33
Thank you to Chad for letting us share George’s story!