What do you do when you are outside hiking with your dog and she gets bitten by a venomous rattlesnake? This is exactly the frightening predicament Gracie’s owner faced just a few short weeks ago.
Fortunately, this story has a happy ending because Gracie’s owners were able to rush her to the veterinary clinic. By the time they arrived, “her face had swollen to the size of two tennis balls,” commented Gracie’s owner, Jennifer.
When bitten by a rattlesnake, it is important to seek immediate veterinary care. Snake venom causes inflammation, cell damage, and localized tissue destruction. Fortunately, it can be treated with antivenin which is what Gracie’s veterinarian used. Antivenin is commercially made to neutralize the effects of rattlesnake venom. It is specifically made for each different type of rattlesnake’s venom and can be quite expensive, but that’s where pet insurance comes in handy.
Gracie received additional medications and IV fluids and needed to be monitored for 24 hours before she was released to go home. I am happy to report that Gracie made it through this scary experience and is on the mend.
There are a lot of pet insurance companies out there, but I am so glad I did my homework before signing up. There is no doubt in my mind that I chose the best insurance for our Gracie. Thank you Trupanion. You made a believer out of this animal lover.
Thank you, Jennifer, for letting us share Gracie’s story!