Curing Your Dog’s Eye Infection with Home Remedies

To say that dogs are susceptible to eye infections is an understatement. When they’ve got their entire face lodged in a hole in the ground several times a day, the possibility for a dog eye infection is about as likely as grass growing in the summer.

Eye infections are not much cause for worry, but they can be a bit of a nuisance. A dog that paws at his eyes or scratches it against surfaces can make the infection worsen. Sometimes there may be no symptoms of a dog eye infection at all. But once you’ve diagnosed the infection, there are things you can do at home to alleviate the discomfort and get your dogs head back in a hole in no time.

up close dog eyeCauses
The most common causes for eye infections come from bacteria that get in and around the eye. Other causes can be viruses, trauma or allergic reactions to various items in the environment. Regardless of the reason your dog has an eye infection, home remedies can be a catch-all solution when they have started to exhibit the symptoms of an eye infection.

Natural Remedies
Natural remedies are great way to get cost effective relief for your dog. They don’t take much time to prepare and they have a history of being effective. These remedies are non-harmful to your dog, provided that they are not allergic to any of the ingredients.

Saline Solution
This solution is so popular it is used all over the world to alleviate different medical problems, and it can do wonders for your pooch too. Gently splash some of this solution onto your dog’s eye before you start to wipe. Mix a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water and use a cotton ball to wipe away any discharge or debris you see.

Chamomile Tea
Is there anything it can’t do? Well, here’s another one to add to the list. Prepare a mug of tea and let it steep for a few minutes. After it has cooled enough to be only warm to the touch, remove the tea bag. You can use the tea bag directly on your dog’s eye to reduce the infection.  You can use this method a few times a day until the infection has died off.

Supplements
Vitamin A, C and bioflavinoids can improve the recovery time from an infection. You can find these supplements at pet food stores. These supplements also have properties that can boost your dog’s immune system and prevent the potential for a further outbreak of an eye infection. As a general rule, choose a supplement that has a low number of ingredient names, and make sure those ingredient names are pronounceable.  This will ensure that your dog is not ingesting anything that might give them an adverse reaction.

Super Solution
In a cup you can add 10 drops of red clover, chamomile, St. John’s wort, eyebright or calendula. Add one cup of distilled or filtered water and 1 tsp of salt. Use this solution to rinse out the dog’s eye with an eyedropper 2-3 times a day. This will help reduce the irritation and inflammation of the dog eye infection, promoting a better healing process.

A Note on Home Remedies
These home remedies are not guaranteed to work for your pooch. The ingredients themselves are natural and are not likely to produce any negative effects, but if your dog is allergic to any of these items you may see a reaction. Try testing everything you plan on giving your dog on a small patch of skin before you apply it to a place like their eye.

Some infections may have gone past the point of home remedies and may need medical attention. If there is yellow pus or blood oozing from the eye you may consider a trip to the vet. A dog that is lethargic or lacks an appetite, can’t open their eye or has contracted the infection from any type of trauma should probably take a trip to the vet, as well.

If you notice that any of these remedies are ineffective and no difference is noticed within a few days, you’ll want to get advice from a vet on the next steps.

Chris Onyett is a designer and a passionate writer on promoting dog health. He created the Dog Help Network after an experience with his own dog, Kupo. He learned that doing proper research and learning from others’ experiences can be just as important as taking a veterinarian’s advice.

About Guest Blogger @Trupanion

Interested in guest blogging for Trupanion? Send us an e-mail at socialmedia@trupanion.com! Learn more at: http://blog.trupanion.com/guest-blog-for-trupanion/

34 Responses to Curing Your Dog’s Eye Infection with Home Remedies

1. Tracy says:

The herbs you suggested 10 drops; are you talking about alcohol extracts? Have you worked with essential oils?

2. Inga says:

My daughter has a Dachsand that has a terrible
    Eye infection.
    First trip to the Vet and it’s still NOT cleared up.
    Will this left untreated lead to blindness?

3. jack lape says:

our 12 yr old mimi pincher had cloudyness for 3 days thought he had cataracs but eye started to weap and dog closing eye. upon further examination we seen a cupped out type of wound no blood. went to local feed store and bought – nfz puffer0.2% nitrofurazone – for dog and cat eye and ear infections. surface wounds cuts and abrasions
    this prouduct is simply a powder to puff into eye ball and has antiabotics to help heal wounds. we had great luck with the prouduct. also gave dog half a avelox 400 mg half pill 2 times a day for 4 days this was a perscription for a human spider bite we used but the eye puffer was over the counter 10 dollars no prescription needed . call me if i can help answer questions 501.442.7710 jack hope this helps someone

• Marie says:

Hya im replying to your comment beacuse my dog has the same as you have just described about your dog,she has no inflamation or blood,i need some treatment for her but dont know what it is you just mentioned i live in england and just woundered if their is something i could get here or on the net somewhere.please let me know if there is.
      Thanks.

• nancy says:

my friend has English bulldog and has no money to take to vet the dog scratch her eye and it was blood shy and now she notice the dog eye is swollen what can she do

• maynor guzman says:

GET PENECILLING SHOT IS NOT SPENCIVE AND CAN HELP USE DOSAGE SALT AND WATTER TO WASH EYES EVERY DAY

4. wedaad says:

im a first time owner of a jack pup,female.Just noticed a slight infection in her rightb eye and need help.Shes only 8 weeks old.

5. Sherry says:

you could try using warm wash cloth and gently rub across the eye do not reuse in the other eye keep separate good luck

6. As it happens, eye infections in dogs are a common condition however, they. Along with medications, eye infection home remedies can help cure dog eye.

7. tammy says:

my male pug mix scratches and rubs at his eyes a lot. he has testy eyes too. what can be done

8. Cheryl Pinckney says:

My dog got scratched by a cat in the eye it’s swollen red n drooping now what’s the best remedy?

Cheryl, I would advise to take your dog to the veterinarian for examination. If the injury is severe, it may require treatment that cannot be done at home. Good luck!

9. Jennifer says:

One of my dog eye’s looks a little less open then the other one, and i have seen him trying to rub his eye with is paws, he’s eye isn’t red or cloudy and he doesn’t seem to have any unusual discharge or anything, should i worry? can this be an eye infection?

10. john quency says:

what is red clover and where do i find it

11. Yohanan says:

Eye infections are handled easily with colloidal (or ionic) silver, as I’ve found out personally. Cataract drops now exist that can get rid of cataracts (invented in Moscow). See http://outoftheboxremedies.net/2012/12/20/cataract-removal-without-surgery/ for more information.

12. Danielle says:

I have a 5 yr old english bull dog and i dont know what to do about his eyes. He has massive goobers and yellow puss coming out of his eyes constinly. Redness too. I use baby wipes and constarch to clean underneith. Doesnt seem to work. Please give me advice on a home made remedy. The vets will charge up the ass and can’t afford it. Please help!

• Christina says:

I am trying Halo Eyes for my dog which has crusty eye and debri that builds up. It’s so bad that it’s removing the hair below his eyes. I have just started the halo eyes so I’m hoping it helps. I have read good reviews on the product. You can get it from amazon for $11

13. Sebastian612 says:

My 10-11 or 12 year old Schnauzer has persistent “dry eye”. At least that’s what it was diagnosed as by several EXPENSIVE vets. I have used a variety of eye drops both off-the-shelf and prescribed. My personal opthalmologist confirmed that there is very little difference in eye drops. However, I found that the brand “idrop” worked extremely well, “INITIALLY”, but after a week or two, everything reverted to the yellow, puss-filled eye with a red iris. I still use it as it appears to be better than the others and contains Hyalurane 0.25% (info@imedpharma.com). I plan to try the “home remedies” to the extent I can — some of the ingredients appear to be difficult to find. Anything is better than being on the treadmill or revolving door of the greedy Vets — and, believe me, we have lots of them in San Diego!! Had one that wanted $2,500 to conduct “skin tests” in an attempt to fix his dry eye (allergies, you know???). They know we love our pets and charge accordingly.

14. Christa Kumar says:

Polysporin antibiotic eyedrops ( yes, the ‘human ‘ ones) work so well,that I don’t know ,why I would fool around with anything else .

15. sophie says:

my dogs eye infection started yesterday and doesn’t look too severe, her eye is a little red and is producing more eye boogers than normal. I like the sound of the saline solution but how many times a day would you recommend applying it and at what point should I go to the vet if the saline doesn’t help?

16. Kara says:

my dog got bit on his eyeball by another dog. It isn’t on the pupil, but rather far off to the outer edge of his eye on the white. It is red but isn’t ooozy or infected. Should I still take him to the vet? can I ask for some antibacterial drops without an appointment?

17. Joe Timberlake says:

My 8 year old Bishon has what looks like a red pimple beside his eye. It does not appear to hurt him or itch. What should I do?

18. Dominic Francis says:

heya pls help me i hav a pug she is of just 15 months having eye problem..her left eye has become red and the eye ball has changed into white.. and i think she canot see properly

19. my dogs eyes are cloudy and dont look infected but under his left eye its swollen doesnt hurt him when i touch it is it infected

20. Emmy says:

Do not go on a website to ask if you should take your pet to see a vet? Especially when it is a possible infection. Don’t allow your pet to suffer and it’s condition to worsen. Please call a vet’s office immediately and ask a Veterinarian.

21. helen says:

Polysporin ophthalmic ointment is easier than drops just put a dmall strip on your index finger and rub between upper and lower eyelid

22. wanda says:

my chichuahua went outside n rubbed his face on the ground and no has a swollen eye what can i do for her

23. Jenna says:

I have a 6 month old american pitbull she has recently got something going on with her eyes. A lot of off yellow discharge. I don’t know what is causing it or how to fixit please help.

24. Angela Harvey says:

I took my dog to the sea side, after swimming came on to the beach and covered herself with sand which has got into her eyes. Towards the end of the day she was in great discomfort. We washed her eyes with warm water but is still showing signs of being distressed, and tries scratching it. Any recommendations for some home care would be welcomed. Will take her to the vets later if it does improve today