trupanion

Curing a Dog Eye Infection with Home Remedies

To say that dogs are susceptible to eye infections is an understatement. When they’ve got their entire face lodged in a hole in the ground several times a day, the possibility for a dog eye infection is about as likely as grass growing in the summer.

Eye infections are not much cause for worry, but they can be a bit of a nuisance. A dog that paws at his eyes or scratches it against surfaces can make the infection worsen. Sometimes there may be no symptoms of a dog eye infection at all. But once you’ve diagnosed the infection, there are things you can do at home to alleviate the discomfort and get your dogs head back in a hole in no time.

dog eye infectionCauses of Eye Infection in Dogs

The most common causes for eye infections come from bacteria that get in and around the eye. Other causes can be viruses, trauma or allergic reactions to various items in the environment. Regardless of the reason your dog has an eye infection, home remedies can be a catch-all solution when they have started to exhibit the symptoms of an eye infection.

Natural Remedies

Natural remedies are great way to get cost effective relief for your dog. They don’t take much time to prepare and they have a history of being effective. These remedies are non-harmful to your dog, provided that they are not allergic to any of the ingredients.

Saline Solution

This solution is so popular it is used all over the world to alleviate different medical problems, and it can do wonders for your pooch too. Gently splash some of this solution onto your dog’s eye before you start to wipe. Mix a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water and use a cotton ball to wipe away any discharge or debris you see.

Chamomile Tea

Is there anything it can’t do? Well, here’s another one to add to the list. Prepare a mug of tea and let it steep for a few minutes. After it has cooled enough to be only warm to the touch, remove the tea bag. You can use the tea bag directly on your dog’s eye to reduce the infection.  You can use this method a few times a day until the infection has died off.

Supplements

Vitamin A, C and bioflavinoids can improve the recovery time from an infection. You can find these supplements at pet food stores. These supplements also have properties that can boost your dog’s immune system and prevent the potential for a further outbreak of an eye infection. As a general rule, choose a supplement that has a low number of ingredient names, and make sure those ingredient names are pronounceable.  This will ensure that your dog is not ingesting anything that might give them an adverse reaction.

Super Solution

In a cup you can add 10 drops of red clover, chamomile, St. John’s wort, eyebright or calendula. Add one cup of distilled or filtered water and 1 tsp of salt. Use this solution to rinse out the dog’s eye with an eyedropper 2-3 times a day. This will help reduce the irritation and inflammation of the dog eye infection, promoting a better healing process.

A Note on Home Remedies

These home remedies are not guaranteed to work for your pooch. The ingredients themselves are natural and are not likely to produce any negative effects, but if your dog is allergic to any of these items you may see a reaction. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian before trying any remedies at home.

Some dog eye infections may have gone past the point of home remedies and may need medical attention. If there is yellow pus or blood oozing from the eye you should make a trip to the vet. A dog that is lethargic or lacks an appetite, can’t open their eye or has contracted the infection from any type of trauma requires a trip to the vet, as well.

If you notice that any of these remedies are ineffective and no difference is noticed within a few days, reach out to your veterinarian on the next steps.

Chris Onyett is a designer and a passionate writer on promoting dog health. He created the Dog Help Network after an experience with his own dog, Kupo. He learned that doing proper research and learning from others’ experiences can be just as important as taking a veterinarian’s advice.

About Guest Blogger @Trupanion

Interested in guest blogging for Trupanion? Send us an e-mail at socialmedia@trupanion.com! Learn more at: http://trupanion.com/blog/guest-blog-for-trupanion/

102 Responses to Curing a Dog Eye Infection with Home Remedies

1. Tracy says:

The herbs you suggested 10 drops; are you talking about alcohol extracts? Have you worked with essential oils?

2. Inga says:

My daughter has a Dachsand that has a terrible
    Eye infection.
    First trip to the Vet and it’s still NOT cleared up.
    Will this left untreated lead to blindness?

3. jack lape says:

our 12 yr old mimi pincher had cloudyness for 3 days thought he had cataracs but eye started to weap and dog closing eye. upon further examination we seen a cupped out type of wound no blood. went to local feed store and bought – nfz puffer0.2% nitrofurazone – for dog and cat eye and ear infections. surface wounds cuts and abrasions
    this prouduct is simply a powder to puff into eye ball and has antiabotics to help heal wounds. we had great luck with the prouduct. also gave dog half a avelox 400 mg half pill 2 times a day for 4 days this was a perscription for a human spider bite we used but the eye puffer was over the counter 10 dollars no prescription needed . call me if i can help answer questions 501.442.7710 jack hope this helps someone

• Marie says:

Hya im replying to your comment beacuse my dog has the same as you have just described about your dog,she has no inflamation or blood,i need some treatment for her but dont know what it is you just mentioned i live in england and just woundered if their is something i could get here or on the net somewhere.please let me know if there is.
      Thanks.

• nancy says:

my friend has English bulldog and has no money to take to vet the dog scratch her eye and it was blood shy and now she notice the dog eye is swollen what can she do

• maynor guzman says:

GET PENECILLING SHOT IS NOT SPENCIVE AND CAN HELP USE DOSAGE SALT AND WATTER TO WASH EYES EVERY DAY

• Mae says:

Stumbled upon this in searching, and found what sounds like the same gross eye condition, with no pain or blood; just “unfortunate,” normal irritation, of poor dog having this same condition; we’ve been treating with natural tears(Saline)soulution, and read this solution works seemingly better. Thanks so much. Tremendous help for a person on a fixed low income.

JT

4. wedaad says:

im a first time owner of a jack pup,female.Just noticed a slight infection in her rightb eye and need help.Shes only 8 weeks old.

5. Sherry says:

you could try using warm wash cloth and gently rub across the eye do not reuse in the other eye keep separate good luck

6. As it happens, eye infections in dogs are a common condition however, they. Along with medications, eye infection home remedies can help cure dog eye.

7. tammy says:

my male pug mix scratches and rubs at his eyes a lot. he has testy eyes too. what can be done

8. Cheryl Pinckney says:

My dog got scratched by a cat in the eye it’s swollen red n drooping now what’s the best remedy?

Cheryl, I would advise to take your dog to the veterinarian for examination. If the injury is severe, it may require treatment that cannot be done at home. Good luck!

9. Jennifer says:

One of my dog eye’s looks a little less open then the other one, and i have seen him trying to rub his eye with is paws, he’s eye isn’t red or cloudy and he doesn’t seem to have any unusual discharge or anything, should i worry? can this be an eye infection?

10. john quency says:

what is red clover and where do i find it

11. Yohanan says:

Eye infections are handled easily with colloidal (or ionic) silver, as I’ve found out personally. Cataract drops now exist that can get rid of cataracts (invented in Moscow). See http://outoftheboxremedies.net/2012/12/20/cataract-removal-without-surgery/ for more information.

12. Danielle says:

I have a 5 yr old english bull dog and i dont know what to do about his eyes. He has massive goobers and yellow puss coming out of his eyes constinly. Redness too. I use baby wipes and constarch to clean underneith. Doesnt seem to work. Please give me advice on a home made remedy. The vets will charge up the ass and can’t afford it. Please help!

• Christina says:

I am trying Halo Eyes for my dog which has crusty eye and debri that builds up. It’s so bad that it’s removing the hair below his eyes. I have just started the halo eyes so I’m hoping it helps. I have read good reviews on the product. You can get it from amazon for $11

• Eddy Schaap says:

Hi Danielle
      Please do not use cornstarch in or around your dog’s eye. Bacteria will thrive on it and multiply – make it worse. Only use a teaspoon of salt mixed into a glass of warm water and use cotton balls to remove any mucus from the lids. Be gentle around the eye and lids. Do not apply pressure to remove any build up. Eddy

13. Sebastian612 says:

My 10-11 or 12 year old Schnauzer has persistent “dry eye”. At least that’s what it was diagnosed as by several EXPENSIVE vets. I have used a variety of eye drops both off-the-shelf and prescribed. My personal opthalmologist confirmed that there is very little difference in eye drops. However, I found that the brand “idrop” worked extremely well, “INITIALLY”, but after a week or two, everything reverted to the yellow, puss-filled eye with a red iris. I still use it as it appears to be better than the others and contains Hyalurane 0.25% (info@imedpharma.com). I plan to try the “home remedies” to the extent I can — some of the ingredients appear to be difficult to find. Anything is better than being on the treadmill or revolving door of the greedy Vets — and, believe me, we have lots of them in San Diego!! Had one that wanted $2,500 to conduct “skin tests” in an attempt to fix his dry eye (allergies, you know???). They know we love our pets and charge accordingly.

14. Christa Kumar says:

Polysporin antibiotic eyedrops ( yes, the ‘human ‘ ones) work so well,that I don’t know ,why I would fool around with anything else .

15. sophie says:

my dogs eye infection started yesterday and doesn’t look too severe, her eye is a little red and is producing more eye boogers than normal. I like the sound of the saline solution but how many times a day would you recommend applying it and at what point should I go to the vet if the saline doesn’t help?

16. Kara says:

my dog got bit on his eyeball by another dog. It isn’t on the pupil, but rather far off to the outer edge of his eye on the white. It is red but isn’t ooozy or infected. Should I still take him to the vet? can I ask for some antibacterial drops without an appointment?

17. Joe Timberlake says:

My 8 year old Bishon has what looks like a red pimple beside his eye. It does not appear to hurt him or itch. What should I do?

18. Dominic Francis says:

heya pls help me i hav a pug she is of just 15 months having eye problem..her left eye has become red and the eye ball has changed into white.. and i think she canot see properly

19. my dogs eyes are cloudy and dont look infected but under his left eye its swollen doesnt hurt him when i touch it is it infected

20. Emmy says:

Do not go on a website to ask if you should take your pet to see a vet? Especially when it is a possible infection. Don’t allow your pet to suffer and it’s condition to worsen. Please call a vet’s office immediately and ask a Veterinarian.

21. helen says:

Polysporin ophthalmic ointment is easier than drops just put a dmall strip on your index finger and rub between upper and lower eyelid

22. wanda says:

my chichuahua went outside n rubbed his face on the ground and no has a swollen eye what can i do for her

23. Jenna says:

I have a 6 month old american pitbull she has recently got something going on with her eyes. A lot of off yellow discharge. I don’t know what is causing it or how to fixit please help.

24. Angela Harvey says:

I took my dog to the sea side, after swimming came on to the beach and covered herself with sand which has got into her eyes. Towards the end of the day she was in great discomfort. We washed her eyes with warm water but is still showing signs of being distressed, and tries scratching it. Any recommendations for some home care would be welcomed. Will take her to the vets later if it does improve today

25. Samantha says:

My dog has a eye infection some of his skin in the eye peeled of what should I do to get rid of the eye infection

26. Yana says:

my Chihuahuas eyelids are swollen what can I do to help her out please anybody know any home remedies for her?

27. Jason switch says:

My dog just took a poop inside my friends shoe should I like hide his shoes or just throw them away and act as if my dog ate them

28. Umieka Scott says:

well my pit bull bruno has a eye infection and we don’t know what to do but lately we have been wipeing it with water and it still is not gone can you give me some treatmeants i don’t want him to go blind i love my dogs

29. Imani Newbill says:

I received my Yorkie Poo Mocha last Wednesday. Her previous owner gave her to me with a pretty serious eye infection. I was furious. Her eyes would stick shut with green and yellow pus. I felt so bad for her. So I called my grandmother who is a holistic naturalist and owner of the happiest 5 dogs in the world. Being a college student I told her a vet would break my budget. I asked her if her vet would let work a few hours for her to pay off a treatment plan for Mocha. My grandmother told me not to worry and gave me a recipe that has pretty much cleared up her infection in about two days, but I am going to continue it for about 5-8 more days to be on the safe side. Mocha is so happy now!

The recipe is
    20 oz of hot water
    2 teaspoons of goldenseal powder (My grandmother uses this for everything! For humans and all animals)
    1 teaspoon of eyebright powder

Make a tea and let sit overnight on the counter covered.
    Depending on how bad the infection is use a handful of cotton balls or however many you need. Put cotton balls in a container and pour a small amount of tea over the cotton balls.
    Caution goldenseal does stain really bad and it’s really hard to get out. Use a covering for your carpet or wood floors. I learned the hard way.

Hope this helps!

NOW I JUST GOT TO WORK HER TEETH AND BREATH *SIGH* SMH!!!

30. Snuggles Mom says:

Our 10 year old shiba inu got a weepy, green goopy eye infection a day after falling face first into our garbage can trying to get at some scraps. Sclera was red and she was scratching at eye quite a bit. Before deciding to head to the vet and walking out $100 poorer with a tiny bottle of antibiotic drops, I did some research (cited below) because I’m a nurse and a DIYer…I mixed up a solution of povidone iodine (available at any drug store) and plain saline solution (had some in house for my contacts) into a clean/sterilized (by boiling) dropper bottle. Cleaned eye with hydrogen peroxide soaked cotton ball before application 3x/day. Within 24 hours it was almost all gone. I continued to apply the eye drops for an additional 48 hours just to make sure that the infection was completely cleared up. Nice thing about iodine is that bacteria do not develop resistance to it and therefore, if the infection doesn’t clear up, you can still use prescription antibacterial drops from vet as a last resort. Did not seem to sting/bother dog at all other than having to being held still with eye held open.

Research I based this solution on is here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1705857/

• Tracey says:

How much of saline solution and how much of the iodine did you mix together?

• Leah says:

People, do not put salt, iodine, or hydrogen peroxide into dogs eyes!
      Try it on yourself – would you want to stick salt or iodine in your eye? Not unless you want to loose your vision.. Then why are you doing it to dogs? Salt it known for drying out tissue. Iodine burns the tissue terribly with pain! Common? You think these are remedies for dry eye?

For clearing infection and dry eye – see your doctor. You can safely put Artificial Tears meanwhile many times per day to help with dry eye. Soak soft (loose particles free) paper towel and when soft and soaked, clean up with warm water very gently and put Artificial Tears – this is just not to damage anything and help with dry eye. There is medication out there for dogs which helps dogs to make their own tears, you might need that – through your vet prescription.

• Mary says:

Leah,
        Being a Florida resident and woman raised by my mother, a registered nurse and owner of a holistic healing center. I can inform you there is no danger in utilizing iodine and salt(when diluted) to treat eye infections or inflammation. In fact, when you live seaside, not only can you open your eyes u see salt water without irritation, salt water is closer in pH to the ocular fluid that protects the eye than fresh water. (Salt water being more basic, and fresh more acidic). When diluted properly, it is not only incredibly effective but painless. Vets are by always the answer. They are often impractically expensive but I have had many misdiagnosed issues through vets…later treating my dogs with holistic alternatives at minimal cost and with nearly no side affects to my furry family member.

31. Chuckys Mom says:

How much was each part Snuggles Mom?

32. vanessa says:

my chichuahua left eye is kind of popped out and red . shes still acts the same but she cant go anywhere she use to go because if something touches the eye it hurts her alot. Is there any home remedies that can help? There’s no scars or bite marks around the eye so i think its a eye infection im not sure. this is the first dog i have that got this.

33. Jessica says:

I just my white pit mix outer eye is red and the other eye is fine. what can it be

34. Dawn says:

I have a Chihuahua who is ten years old she lost a lot of weight should I feed her rice to bill her weight and not she has a eye infection want can I do

35. marie says:

My dog has red in the white part of her eye just one.ive only seen this tonight.she is healthy&plays like it doesnt bother her.i dont know how she got it or how to treat this myself.please help thank you.

36. janet hennessey says:

My dog gets real red around his eye on the outside always rubbing his eye,he had cherry eye last year had it partially removed,is there any home remedy I can use don’t have alot of money and the vets can be costly

37. Yvonne says:

My pup got puss coming out her eye and looks bad I getting worry can she go blind from bad eye

38. Sunil says:

My dog cant open his eyes.He is less than a year old. For months. there seemed to be a problem but vet ssaid its fine. Since today morning he cant open his eyes.What should i do?

39. TStraight says:

my dog is a 6 month old mix breed and has an eye infection just underneath her bottom eyelid it is pink and swollen but has no discharge. it first started out with just a swollen area and now is becoming worse what can I do to help her eye?

40. Viquie says:

my dog is about 5 months old and could not open its eyes one early morning. there is a lot of mucous from the eyes and it was feeling severe pains to the extent that even air was not allowed to enter. the only remedy i had at home was noni juice. it was really amazing because the dog was free the following morning

41. Sally says:

I have a 8 week old puppy and he has crusty eyes, blisters around his mouth and he has a real bad smell coming from him. Does anyone have an idea what it could be? Thank you

42. nikki says:

my female pom is suffering from eye pain and irritation and she is also closing her eye . we have tried several things but their is no effect on her sometimes she opens her eye properly but only for few minutes or seconds….plzzz can anyone help me..what should I do ?

43. dkaur2661@ymail.com says:

I have a cocker spaniel he is not able to open his eye properly and has white discharge coming out of ir will this work….

44. laura says:

I have a English Bulldog /pit bull mix he left eye has yellowish crusty coming from his left eye and the rt eye has the cherry eye just a little. Took him to the vet they gave me ointment to put his saying it’s only server eye irritation but it has goten no better . What should I do

45. MARY says:

IS DOG/PUPPY EYE INFECTIONS CONTAGIOUS TO HUMANS?MY MOM’S PUPPY HAS BEEN RUBBING HIS EYE ON THE FLOOR AND PAWING AT IT.SHE IS ELDERLY .DON’T WANT HER TO GET SICK WITH IT IF IT’S CONTAGIOUS..

46. virginia mendez says:

my dog has a red colored thing in her eyes and cannot see. she also has multiple bumps on her body that are filled with yellow substances. when buts leave a hole in hr. then after a couple hours closes up and refills. what type of sickness is
    that??

47. Marlene Simcox says:

Thanks for the Chamomile tea bag idea. My dog got scratched by a cat near his eye and this really helped. He really showed it eased his pain. The swelling went down. It healed without seeing a vet.

48. Marlene Simcox says:

I like the Chamomile Tea suggestion. My dog got scratched by a cat. This really worked for my dog. It took down the swelling and infection without seeing a vet.

49. Stephanie Alison Witten says:

Hi, I do not know if my dog has an eye infection or not just yet but she is acting out of sorts with relation to her eye. Her and my other dog were rough housing and I am not sure if that is a possible cause, but now she is narrowing and closing her left eye and it looks uncomfortable if not painful.

I did use a damp cotton ball to rinse her eye out a little and wiped it gently.

Should I be concerned and is there anything more I should do?

50. Leah says:

I wonder if black tea works on dogs? It is always recommended for peoples eye puffiness and inflammation reduction and has calming effect due to wonderful for eyes ingredient namely in black kind of teas, but not sure as to how good it is for dryness problem..

Artificial Tears – are eye drops that is safe for dogs to use for dry eye. It is cheap in stores and you can put it 4 times per day or as needed, no problem. It creates artificial moisture and helps with dry eye. On the other hand, vets have some medication they prescribe also on top of Artificial Tears – so that dogs start producing their own tears more (it costs about $80) and it lasts for about 3 or more months. When you put it on top of Artificial Tears, it keeps the eyes free of gunk, keeps them clean longer than without it.

51. Kirimoana rose manahi says:

Hi my dog got into a nasty fight with the neighbour’s dog it was bad there jaws locked. His whole face is swollen and you can’t see onw of his eyes. Vets are really expensive just wanting to know any remedies to get the swelling down and keep his wounds clean?? Thanks

• Britta says:

You really should take your dog to the veterinarian, they can help provide you with the best at home remedy and you’d only have to pay an exam fee.

52. Janine says:

I have a Havanese (6 years old) and its like every 3/4 weeks she gets an eye infection. The vet gives me medication it clears up then it starts all over again weeks later. I love my dog just like I love my kids but I Dont have $70 to visit the vet not to mention paying for the prescriptions. I need an alternative solution to this on going problem.

53. erika says:

First trim the hair away around the eye.
    Use hydrogen peroxide to to clean around the eye, do not put in eye.
    Then use artificial tears inside dogs eye.
    Use antibacterial ointment that you would use on humans around the eye until you can get your dog to a vet.

54. Jennifer says:

noticed on other sites, boric acid 1 tsp to glass of purified water was used by many..when I was a kid this is what was used at home also for kids…jus had cataract surgery and the pre and after drops used for surgery 2 of 4 different that I use, also contain boric acid as first ingredient for preventive for infection ..have a new puppy poked herself with a stick on eyelid, seems really irritated, will try boric acid mix…

55. Jenny says:

I took my dog to the vet and still her eyes not getting any better. My dog has eye infections and also ulcer in the eye. Please help.

56. Melissa says:

I have a 3 yr old Boston terrier. About 2 days ago I came home from work and noticed that his right eye was closed & he was trembling. I figured that maybe he had call a little cold from being out in the cold a couple days prior. He hasn’t really lost his appetite but he has slowed down quite a bit. I’ve been gently wiping his eye with a warm washcloth but he weeps when I wipe it. I noticed today when I came home that he has a milky colored film over his eye and a yellowish discharge under his eye. I don’t have the extra funds to be able to take him to the vet. What should I do?

57. jade says:

hi i have got a female staffy she is 4 yrs old she didnt have swollen eyelids this moring it only happened this arvo both of her upper eyelids are swollen and red but her eyes look normal colour no puss or mucis so i dont no what she has done but she isnt rubbing them or anything is there anything i can do or does any one even no what it is???

58. Josh says:

My dog has been to the vet two times for his eyes. First he did a course of eye drops for conjunctivitis and now he has been on a prednisone eye drop solution for a week now and he still had the tears. No real discharge just watery eyes and he seem so be uncomfortable. I am wondering if it’s a food allergy or something else. I don’t like the fact that he has been on a steroid for a week now and no relief. His fur is turning a red color around his eyes. He is a 75lb wolf hybrid German Shepard mix. My poor boy is just a year old and I don’t k ow what to do other than take him back to the vet when I return from vacation. Any help would be appreciated.

59. Carla Rickard says:

Hey I have a American bulldog cross staff n he has had sore eye for couple days. I think my pup may have gotten to playful n stratched it…. im bit tight on funds for vet bill but he does have a bit of weepiness n its sore looking. .. help

60. Alex says:

I have a six month old black lab blue tick mix. And yesterday I noticed he was rubbing his left eye. The white of his eye looked red and he can open it but after a few seconds he squints and the very bottom of his cornia looks a little hazzy. Any idea what this could all of a sudden be from

61. Rose says:

I noticed irritation and puffiness today and am wondering what will work. We will go to the vet ASAP but other then that anything else I can do. She’s very sassy so I don’t know if she’ll let me touch her eye for that long, or hold her down. Please anything helps.

62. kadyn says:

my golden retrievers left side of his head has swollen so much he cant open his eye, and the swelling is on his forehead and down his nose. He seems more inconvenienced then in pain. No money for vet.

Any advice as to whats wrong?

• Kathryn says:

Your veterinarian will be able to advise you on what might be wrong. Give them a call and describe the symptoms, they can tell you whether you may be able to treat it at home or if you should come in see them.

63. Steve says:

Sounds to me like your dog as a badly infected tooth. Antibiotics might take care of it but if it’s that bad it probably needs to be removed. Don’t think there is an alternative but going to the vet.
    Good luck.

64. Toni says:

Stop trying home remedies while your pets are suffering. If your eye looked like your dogs
    would YOU or your children go to the doctor? Sadly our pets cannot tell us how they feel . I’ll find the money somewhere if my dog needs an opthamologist. Most regular vets may not have the experience needed for serious eye care. Please don’t let them suffer just because you don’t know what to do….take them to a vet!

65. kathy usher says:

I have a and small for and yesterday a for came I’m my yard when we were outside and my dog left the yard with him. I got in my car rode down the road looking for the dogs no luck… As the day went on me and my two kids came home and went back looking for wuha still couldn’t find them .This morning got up and went to the door still no wuha. I get my daughter up for school and she goes to the door calling him.He came to her but his eyes was closed shut. The kids went to crying I got him in the house. Looked at his eyes I couldn’t open them I was scard too… I claimed down the kids and out him in his pen… Took my child to school I came back and have him a bath and doctor his eye.. I cleaned them good and out some drops in them. He seems to be comeing around. But if not buy Thursday I’m taking my boy to the vet.. My kids are okay now but they are worried about there wuha. Please if anyone knows anything else I can do please help me . Thank you

66. patty says:

My dog is a shit zsu and has become blind from his eye he had only the eye to see and now has green mucus i dont know wha to do

67. angella says:

My dog is suffering some eyes issue. His eyes become wet then when his eyes opens I noticed that its slowly closing. Is there any home remedy solution

68. Rosemary says:

Yes- my lil yorkie, she 5 yrs old. I notice about 3 day ago her eye was tearing. I been puting eye flush. I bought at petco. Is there any home remedies on can put on het

69. Rhianon Hunter says:

My blue nose pit was fine this morning, and I am not sure if her and our other pit we’re playing too rough or what but her left eye looks irritated, waters a bit as well lo saving some eye boogies. She does not seem to be in pain.what can I do to help her.?

70. Lisa says:

My pug is going on 12 and I just noticed one eye has a little infection little pus but nothing major will salt and warm water work

71. helen pereira says:

how can i help my dog.idk whther its an infection or a bite. its bleeding blood n his eye has swelling like its nearly popped out. plus there is no vet here i stay in a remote area. i am helpless. is there any remedy to cure my poor dog

72. Stefanie says:

My dogs eye is producing eye boogers and is red and swollen. He keeps wanting to close his eye. It doesn’t seem to hurt but he keeps rubbing it and irratating it more. I’ve seen comments on here to try warm water and a teaspoon of salt, but how often do I do this before I have to take him to the vet? Also can I use bottled water? Please help, can’t afford the vet right now

73. 1979 says:

Ho snuggles mom I was reading what u post about the povidon iodine and the saline solution I have a question do I have to boil these two together and then put in clean dropper or it doesn’t need any boiling I would like to give it a try on my chihuahua she is 8 months old and her eyr is swollen but no discharge this just started yesterday afternoon after my son gave her a bath I rinsed her eye with water but still the same other than this what can I do. I don’t have the resourses to be able to take her to the vet right due to that they charge an arm and a leg

74. 1979 says:

Sorry i ment to put hi to you snuggles mom

75. MARION CARTER says:

My 3yr standard poodle is prone to eye infections….Big bucks to the vet and no results…A friend recommended using cotton balls and wiping the eye with warm milk…treatment three times a day and especially at bedtime…..Works great,no side effects.. The price is right!!..