There have been several recalls this month, and in the past week particularly, so I decided to combine them all into one post so that you can get all the information you need in one spot. Here’s what I’ve found:
- Nutri-Vet Chicken Jerky Dog Treats due to salmonella – distributed throughout the US
- Nature’s Variety Dog Food due to contamination of pieces of clear plastic – distributed throughout the US and Canada
- Hy-Vee dog food due to a toxin found in corn – distributed in Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin
- The Honest Kitchen®’s Verve®, Zeal® and Thrive® products due to salmonella – distributed throughout the US and Canada
- Various products by Kasel (see list below) due to salmonella – distributed throughout the US to stores such as Costco, Target, Petco and Sam’s Club
- Boots & Barkley American Beef Bully Sticks
- Nature’s Deli Chicken Jerky Dog Treats
- Boots & Barkley Roasted American Pig Ears
- Boots & Barkley American Variety Pack Dog Treats
If you have purchased any of the affected treats, please discontinue feeding and return to the place of purchase for a full refund.
Also, consider baking your own dog treats! Here’s a recipe shared by policyholder Kathy G.
2 cups whole wheat flour (or other if your dog is allergic)
1 cup rolled oats (plain oatmeal)
1/3 c. peanut butter
1 1/4 c. hot water
Mix well, knead, roll out and cut out with cookie cutter or make 1″ balls and press down. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350* for 40 minutes.