This week’s featured pet insurance claim is about a mixed-breed dog named Ollie. Ollie got into some chewing gum and gobbled it right up. Fortunately, Ollie’s owners knew about the dangers of chewing gum with pets and took him to the emergency vet right away.
Many types of chewing gum and also some candies contain an artificial sweetener called xylitol which is toxic to dogs. After ingestion, xylitol causes an insulin release which can lead to a rapid drop in blood glucose levels and can cause hypoglycemia. Signs your pet has ingested xylitol include vomiting, lethargy and weakness. If the case is more severe, it can lead to trouble walking, seizures and collapse.
Ollie received an emergency vet exam where they ran blood tests to check his blood glucose levels. Fortunately, Ollie showed no symptoms and ultimately enjoyed his outing to the vet to meet new people which he loves!
Ollie got the green light from his test results and went home happy and healthy. His owners are sure to keep the gum out of reach from now on!
Total claim amount: $782.80
Deductible applied: -$0.00
Ineligible costs: -$149.00 exam fees
10% co-insurance: -$63.38
Trupanion repaid: $570.42
Thank you to Patrick for the cute photo of Ollie and letting us share his story!