What Happened After Cat Swallowed String – Trupanion Pet Insurance

kitten in kennel

Meet Morgan, the 1-year-old kitty. “He is a very frisky kitten – able to jump up and open bedroom and bathroom doors by jumping up and pulling down handles to enter, whether he is welcome or not! This may happen when Mom is in the shower or fast asleep,” said his owner Nancy.

cat surgery shaved belly scar pet insurance Trupanion

Well, this frisky kitty recently swallowed a string which resulted in a trip to the veterinary clinic. His veterinarian took a few X-rays and determined that surgery was needed.

Morgan is feeling well since surgery but is left with a bare belly and a big scar. His sister kitty even hissed at him for a few days after his return home, possibly because she didn’t recognize the new haircut!

Total claim amount: $1,505.07
Deductible applied: -$250.00
Ineligible costs: -$0.00
10% co-insurance: -$125.51
Trupanion repaid: $1,129.56

We’d like to send a big Thank You to Nancy for sending in photos and allowing us to share Morgan’s story!

About Stacy @Trupanion

Stacy Kowalchuk is a dog mom to her rescued Whippet-mix, Ellie. During the week, you can find Stacy surfing (the internet, that is) and managing Trupanion's presence in the social media world. In her free time, Stacy likes to bake, especially cupcakes! To balance her culinary affinity, she also likes to stay active, especially with activities that include her dog such as hiking and going to dog parks.

2 Responses to What Happened After Cat Swallowed String – Trupanion Pet Insurance

  1. Joyce says:

    This story and photo of Morgan is deja vu! In 2003 my cat, Eddie, who was also a large black cat, did the same thing. For 6 weeks I and our vet did everything possible to try to force passage of the string. Lots of x-rays; a few overnights for I.V., etc. Finally, the day before an ultrasound was scheduled (with surgery looming)…Eddie miraculously passed the string! This was an absolute miracle. The string was “plastic”, about a foot long, and we believe it was from recently laid carpet. He apparently found a loose string tucked under the baseboard heat.
    As everything turned out…Eddie lived another 9 years to the age of 18. (Eddie passed on in Aug 2012 after battling hyperthyroidism and multiple other age-related illnesses.) Eddie never gave up his fondness for strings….I could never leave any strings, ribbon, etc within his sight. Gifts could not have bows or ribbon on them…he would patiently wait his chance to try to chew them!

  2. Charlotte Honda says:

    Thank goodness my three feline friends seem to avoid strings, ribbons, etc., . . . at least so far. However, I must be so careful with plants, leaves, flowers of any kind.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


+ 4 = 10

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>