Pet Insurance Claim of the Week: SARDS

ellie blind dog on couchThe last 7 days have been rough on me. This week’s featured pet insurance claim discusses a personal experience with my own 6-year-old dog, Ellie. Last Tuesday, she was diagnosed with SARDS which is sudden acute retinal degeneration syndrome. I had never heard of the condition before, but have certainly learned a lot about it in the past week.

What is it: SARDS is a degeneration of the retina in dogs which leads to irreversible vision loss. It may occur over a month or as quickly as overnight.

Causes: Not much is known about the cause of SARDS but it is believed not to be genetically linked, and according to Michigan Veterinary Specialists, “It is currently thought that it is a toxic reaction in the retina possibly related fat bi product, hormonal and immune-mediated causes.”
The condition may occur in any dog, but it is more common in females than males, and Dachshunds and Schnauzers seem to be predisposed.

Symptoms: A dog with SARDS may become very hungry and thirsty for a few months and potentially gain weight due to the increased hunger. The other symptom is vision loss, however the eyes may still appear normal from the outside.

Diagnosis: Ellie had an ERG (electroretinogram) which detects retinal activity. If there is no activity, then SARDS is confirmed. However, if retinal activity is presence, then the veterinary ophthalmologist will need to perform further tests to determine the cause of vision loss.

Treatment: Unfortunately there is no treatment for this condition. However, the increased hunger and thirst symptoms are supposed to subside after 2-3 months. At this point, we are just hoping that she will keep her blurry vision and not go completely blind, but there is really no way to tell.

My pet insurance claim included a visit to my regular vet with a thyroid test and an eye pressure test (for glaucoma), and a visit to the veterinary ophthalmologist which included an examination and an ERG.

Total claim amount: $630.85
Deductible applied: -$0.00
Ineligible costs (exam fees): -$187.00
10% co-insurance: -$44.39
Trupanion repaid: $399.46

Ellie is still getting used to life with less vision. She bumps into things when we’re outside of her familiar places (home and my desk area at work) and this makes her frustrated and stressed out. But we got some toys with jingle bells inside that are easier for her to find and we are glad that she is still wagging her tail!

9 Responses to Pet Insurance Claim of the Week: SARDS

1. Yvonne Lundin says:

Bless your heart!!! I had a dog with SARDS. He adapted so much better than I did!! I feel your worry and concern. Hang in there!! Sending hugs and prayers to both you and Ellie.

2. Sheri says:

This story made me cry. I love that you are working with your dog to make her life as “normal” as possible. I’m sure she will adjust to vision loss much better than we would. She will have a long, happy and fulfilling life with or without her vision. Take care.

3. Connie Faivre says:

Will keep you and Ellie in my prayers. My 18-year old Aussie (her name is Noel) who died in 2011 went completely blind the last two years of her life. She compensated really well, and really never let it get to her. We made sure, just in case there was some semblance of vision left, that there was always bright light wherever she went, and obstacles were always kept to a minimum. Ellie is lucky to have you (and vice versa, probably!)

4. Heather says:

Thanks for sharing your story, Stacy. We love Ellie and will help her as much as we can! You are such a great dog mama – she is lucky to have you!
    – Heather @ Trupanion

5. Susan says:

My 10 year old Scottie was diagnosed with SARDS and in addition, is now diabetic. At the end of last year she was diagnosed with a nailbed tumor in which she had her toe amputated. The tumor was a “rare” benigned tumor, thankfully, but unfortunately came down with SARDS and diabetes. It has been very hard to watch a fun, energetic, happy dog go thru this. She is adjusting. But her “zest” for life has subdued. We are doing everthing to make her a happy dog and are committed to the very end to make her safe and not feel alone.

Hi Susan,
      Thanks for sharing about your pup. It sounds like she has been through a lot which is really tough but I commend you for being such a good dog mommy and sticking by her side through all of it. :) I am finding with Ellie that she’s happiest if I continue to treat her normally. I try my best not to react when she bumps into things so that she will just get used to it as a normal part of life. I’m glad your dog has a good, safe home!

• Susan says:

Thank you! Both my husband and I try to keep things as normal as possible. We have another Scottie and two cats so she never feels like she is alone. I tell her daily that I will take care of her until the very end, whenever that end is.

6. Beverly C says:

I had a wonderful basset hound named Francis who went blind and he had 10 more fabulous years with me. Great book: ‘Living with Blind Dogs’ by Carol
    Levin.

I actually have that book sitting on my desk right now, Beverly! It is definitely a great resource and has helped explain a few things including the reason Ellie’s pupils are now blue/green instead of black. :) We hear her bump into things some nights, but overall she is doing very well and is a happy dog who still looks for her toys! Life is much different, but still great!