To a dog’s nose, there’s nothing like the smell of freshly cooked chicken. Sonny the 8-year-old Shih Tzu recently followed his nose out to the garbage bag and gobbled some cooked chicken bones right up.
While many pet parents may choose to feed raw bones to their dogs, it is the cooked bones that pose a threat. Cooked poultry bones are very dangerous to dogs because they can break and splinter, causing a hazard to their internal organs.
“I didn’t know until the next day that he had even got into them until he started throwing up these very sharp ragged things and hubby had a light bulb go off. Off to emergency thanking god I had insurance cause I knew this was going to be a big bill,” said Sonny’s owner Pam.
Sonny’s veterinary visit consisted of Xrays to examine the bone fragments. Sonny was experiencing pain so they kept him overnight for monitoring and gave him an enema to assist the passing of the bone fragments. Fortunately, since his veterinary visit, Sonny has passed all of the pieces and is feeling much better!
Total claim amount: $400.21
Deductible applied: -$0.00
10% co-insurance: -$40.02
Trupanion repaid: $360.19
Thank you so much to Pam for letting us share Sonny’s story!