Pet Insurance Claim of the Week: Dog Ate Two Socks - The Trupanion Blog
Underwritten by American Pet Insurance Company
<
Sign Up for Our NewsletterGet the scoop on pet health right in your inbox.

Pet Insurance Claim of the Week: Dog Ate Two Socks

greater swiss mountain dog outside hiking grass smile tongueTitan the 2-year-old Greater Swiss Mountain Dog has curious tendencies which recently got him into some trouble. Perhaps he took the phrase “foot in mouth” a little too seriously because he ended up swallowing two socks!

Titan was rushed to his veterinary clinic where they used an ultrasound machine to examine his abdomen. The socks were identified and Titan was to undergo surgery to remove them. In foreign body ingestion situations like this, surgery is often necessary due to the size of the object that was swallowed. If left alone, it could cause blockage or further complications inside the dog’s gastrointestinal tract, so surgery was the best option.

The young pup stayed at the vet clinic overnight to receive medication and recover from surgery. He has since returned home and is back to his happy, vibrant self, however there are some new rules around the house. “All bedroom doors must be closed and no socks are to be left around,” said Titan’s owner, Amy. Titan will also be working with a trainer to help him learn what he is and isn’t allowed to gobble up.

Total claim amount: $1,615.88
Deductible applied: -$500.00
Ineligible costs (food): -$44.82
10% co-insurance: -$107.11
Trupanion repaid: $963.95

Thank you very much to Amy for letting us share your sweet boy’s story!

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Prove you're a human: *