Tucker the curious 3-year-old yellow lab’s nose recently led him to a tasty snack which resulted in a trip to the emergency veterinary clinic. What was it that upset Tucker’s tummy? Raisins.
Unfortunately, it is not particularly common knowledge that grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs and cats. This means it might be easy for your dog or cat to snag a couple off of a table or counter or some that were accidentally dropped on the floor.
While many fruits and vegetables make great snacks for pets, grapes and raisins are not on the list. What specifically makes grapes and raisins toxic to pets is still unknown, but it causes kidney problems and ultimately kidney failure in pets.
The first symptoms of raisin/grape ingestion are vomiting and diarrhea. If your pet is suspected of having eaten grapes or raisins, it’s important to seek immediate veterinary care. Treatment includes inducing vomiting and activated charcoal to absorb the toxins. Tucker also received fluid therapy and spent three days at the vet clinic so they could closely monitor his progress.
Fortunately, Tucker is feeling much better and has refocused his curiosity onto other things!
Total claim amount: $1,612.38
Deductible applied: -$0.00
Excluded costs (exam fee): -$155.00
10% co-insurance: -$145.74
Trupanion repaid: $1,311.64
Thank you to Nicole for letting us share his story!