Lily flowers and plants are highly toxic to cats, and eating or chewing on the leaves or flower can make your cat very sick. They contain a chemical throughout the plant that causes kidney failure in cats and your cat may be poisoned simply by drinking water from the vase.
The severity of toxicity varies from cat to cat, but it is important to seek veterinary care if your cat has come in contact with lilies. Symptoms include vomiting, drooling, lethargy and appetite loss. Immediate treatment includes inducing vomiting and longer treatment includes fluid therapy and monitoring the kidneys. Cat owners should consider other types of flowers to brighten their homes.
Lefty the cat spent four days at the veterinary hospital receiving treatment and fluids to bring his health back to normal.
Deductible applied: -$500.00
Ineligible costs (exam fees): -$66.20
10% co-insurance: -$76.33
Trupanion repaid: $686.97