It’s a well-known fact that many dogs enjoy playing with a ball, whether it’s the variety of tennis, squeaker, soccer, or any other size. However, not all pet owners are aware of the importance of the size of the ball.
This past week we had two pet insurance claims, each for over $1,500 for dogs that choked on golf balls. These pesky balls are just the right size to go down the throats of larger breeds which can make them a very dangerous toy.
When handing a dog a new ball to play with, it is important to examine the size of the ball in comparison to your dog’s mouth. It should be big enough that it can’t be swallowed or fit in the back of the mouth, where it can get stuck.
This week’s claim example features a dog that got a golf ball stuck in her throat. She was rushed to the emergency clinic where she was given anesthesia so they veterinarians could remove the ball.
Total claim amount: $1,602.37
Deductible applied: -$0.00
Ineligible costs (exam fees): -$80.00
10% co-insurance: -$152.24
Trupanion repaid: $1,370.13