Sophie is a young Maine Coon cat who recently had an emergency visit to the vet hospital because of one little bee.
Dogs and cats are often curious about flies and other bugs because they move around and are fun to chase, but that hobby could quickly turn dangerous if a bee or wasp is the object of their play.
Bee and wasp stings contain poisons which cause pain and discomfort, but if the dog or cat is allergic to bee stings then they face the risk of anaphylactic shock which is what Sophie experienced with her bee encounter. Anaphylactic shock is a severe allergic reaction which can include extreme swelling, weakness and difficulty breathing if the sting is on the tongue.
If the pet doesn’t experience a serious allergic reaction, then the bee sting is best left alone. You can try to remove the stinger with by scraping it with your fingernail or a piece of cardboard, but tweezers should be avoided since they can squeeze venom out of the stinger.
Pets that have serious reactions like Sophie should be taken to their vet immediately, otherwise the condition could turn life-threatening. Sophie was kept at the vet hospital overnight where she was given an anithistamine and medications to reduce swelling.
Fortunately, “Sophie has made a complete recovery; all recognition owed to the quick efforts of Dr. Eckstein in saving her life,” commented Sophie’s owner, Andrea.
Total claim amount: $1,833.51
Deductible applied: -$0.00
Ineligible costs (exam fees): -$195.00
10% co-insurance: -$163.85
Trupanion repaid: $1,474.66
Thank you Andrea for letting us share Sophie’s story!