Underwritten by American Pet Insurance Company
Barks and Mewsings logo

Welcome to the
Trupanion Blog

Trupanion's Blog is dedicated to help educate people with pet insurance and pet health information, but more importantly, to have fun!

Pet Insurance Claim of the Week: Kidney failure due to lily flower ingestion

beautiful black catBruce the 8-month-old cat recently tested the “9 lives” theory when he ingested part of a lily plant. Lilies are toxic to cats and can cause kidney problems when any part of the plant is ingested, including water from the vase.

It is important to seek immediate veterinary care if your cat is suspected of chewing on a lily plant. He may display symptoms of vomiting, drooling, lethargy and appetite loss. Immediate treatment includes inducing vomiting and longer treatment includes fluid therapy and monitoring the kidneys.

Bruce continues to receive veterinary treatment and is on his 8th day of dialysis (at time of writing). His other treatments have included a blood transfusion, chest tube, and feeding tube. Fortunately “Today was the best he’s been; he was purring and nudging everyone to rub his head!” said Bruce’s owner Kathrine.

Bruce is on continuing treatments but we are hoping that he will be fully recovered soon!

Thank you Kathrine for letting us share Bruce’s story!

About Stacy @Trupanion

Stacy Kowalchuk is a dog mom to her rescued Whippet-mix, Ellie. During the week, you can find Stacy surfing (the internet, that is) and managing Trupanion's presence in the social media world. In her free time, Stacy likes to bake, especially cupcakes! To balance her culinary affinity, she also likes to stay active, especially with activities that include her dog such as hiking and going to dog parks.

6 Responses to Pet Insurance Claim of the Week: Kidney failure due to lily flower ingestion

  1. Roger Harris says:

    I had never heard that lily plant can be so harmful. I have often seen my dog eating grass. Do you think grass can also be harmful? Please suggest?

    • Stacy says:

      Hi Roger,
      Lilies are only toxic to cats which means you don’t need to worry if your dog accidentally drinks water from a potted lily plant (although it’s best to keep your pet from drinking plant water of any kind in general!). Grass is not harmful to dogs and they some will eat it occasionally to supplement their diet. Here’s some more info on that: http://trupanion.com/blog/2013/03/why-do-dogs-eat-grass/

  2. Kristin says:

    Is this true of calla lilies as well?

  3. Linda says:

    Lilly poisoning is exactly the kind of situation that I am looking at for my cat’s insurance. If my cat is rushed to an emergency vet at 1 am in the morning and I need to approve and pay a bill for $1300 on the spot, how does Trupanion fit in with the claim on this short notice? Poisoning is both an accident and an emergency. There is NO preapproval time for this kind of crisis. Does Trupanion pay after the event regardless? Thanks.

    • Stacy says:

      Linda,
      That’s a great question. In a critical situation that occurs during our business hours, we can expedite the pre-approval so that you can find out the outcome of your claim as soon as possible. If the claim is approved, then we will reimburse based on the final invoice (so after treatment has been given). Reimbursement can be via check, direct deposit into your bank account, or to the veterinary hospital via Claims Express. With Claims Express, the vet hospital must be willing to accept payment from us, and the pet owner is still responsible for their deductible, co-insurance, and any ineligible costs.
      In any case, we would of course encourage you to get immediate treatment for your pet. Please feel free to call us to further discuss!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


− 6 = 2

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>