Underwritten by American Pet Insurance Company
Barks and Mewsings logo

Welcome to the
Trupanion Blog

Trupanion's Blog is dedicated to help educate people with pet insurance and pet health information, but more importantly, to have fun!

Pet Insurance Claim of the Week: Chocolate Ingestion

Mosby the 2-year-old Maltese recently followed his nose into some chocolate. Because he only weighs 5 pounds, a little bit of chocolate can present a big danger! His owner made sure to seek immediate veterinary care for the little chocolate eater.

Chocolate is bad for dogs and cats because it contains chemicals called theobromine and caffeine. These cause increased heart rate in your pet which can lead to vomiting, diarrhea and restlessness. Greater quantities of stronger (higher concentration of cocoa) chocolates are more toxic to pets and can be fatal. The same amount of chocolate is more toxic to a smaller pet than a large one.

Mosby is currently recovering from the ordeal and we wish him a speedy recovery!

Total claim amount: $847.00
Deductible applied: -$80
Ineligible costs (exam fee): -$86
10% co-insurance: -$68.10
Trupanion repaid: $612.90

About Stacy @Trupanion

Stacy Kowalchuk is a dog mom to her rescued Whippet-mix, Ellie. During the week, you can find Stacy surfing (the internet, that is) and managing Trupanion's presence in the social media world. In her free time, Stacy likes to bake, especially cupcakes! To balance her culinary affinity, she also likes to stay active, especially with activities that include her dog such as hiking and going to dog parks.

3 Responses to Pet Insurance Claim of the Week: Chocolate Ingestion

  1. Christa Kumar says:

    I should dearly love to know ,what symptoms Mosby exhibited ,and what the Vet did,that added up to $847.00 .Was all of it ‘precautionary’,or was Mosby in actual danger ? Any way to let us know without identifying people,of course ?

    • Stacy says:

      Hi Christina,
      Our claim forms only tell part of the story, so I am not sure what Mosby’s symptoms were, or how severe. I do not personally have veterinary experience so I cannot interpret the veterinary invoice precisely, however I can share with you some of the items that were on the invoice: examination, diagnostic profile, complete blood count, catheter, infusion pump, sedation, and a few medications.

  2. Deborah says:

    Mushrooms can also be very toxic to dogs. The ASPCA says, “although most mushrooms are known as LBMs (little brown mushrooms) and are generally nontoxic, if a dog has just eaten a mushroom, always decontaminate for safety.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


− 1 = 2

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>