Cody the 4-year-old mixed-breed dog recently went to his veterinary clinic because he ate some snail bait.
Snail bait often comes in the form of small pellets which may appear as treats or kibble to your pet. It contains metaldehyde which, even in small amounts, can be fatal to your furry friend. Symptoms include twitching, drooling, panting, fever, increased heart rate, rigidity and vomiting.
It is important to seek immediate veterinary care if your pet is suspected of coming in contact with snail bait. Cody received overnight care including fluid therapy and electrolytes to flush out the poison. Other treatments may include inducing vomiting, activated charcoal to absorb the toxic substances.
Total claim amount: $763.25
Deductible applied: -$0
Ineligible costs (exam fee): -$87
10% co-insurance: -$67.63
Trupanion repaid: $608.63