trupanion

How to Make Homemade Chicken Broth for Dogs

chicken broth for dogs

Photo via Three Stone Hearth

It’s no secret that dogs love the taste of chicken broth. This simple liquid can be a great tool for pet owners in times of need. Adding a little bit of chicken broth to your dog’s food or water can help get him to eat or drink if he’s being picky. It is also a great way to help hydrate your dog if he is sick and refusing to drink.

Homemade Chicken Broth for Dogs vs. Store Bought Chicken Stock

Unfortunately, most chicken broths available at the grocery store are not very healthy for our dogs because they contain unnecessary additives. Your dog does not need MSG, extra sodium, or any form of garlic or onion which can be harmful to your pet’s red blood cells.

Rather than reading label after label, why not make your own chicken broth? Making homemade chicken broth for your dog will ensure that you know every last ingredient that went into it.

Ingredients:

• One whole chicken, cooked
  • Two large carrots
  • Two large potatoes
  • Water

Directions:

1. Remove the skin from the chicken and cut it into pieces. Place it in a large stock pot.
  2. Peel and cut carrots and potatoes and add them with the chicken.
  3. Pour enough water into the pot to cover all of the ingredients.
  4. Cook on high until it comes to a rolling boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for two hours. Add water if necessary to prevent soup from boiling dry.
  5. Remove the pot from the stove and allow it to cool. Once completely cooled, skim any fat off the top.
  6. Remove chicken and vegetables and strain the broth to remove any debris.

Voila! You have a healthy, dog-friendly chicken broth! Be sure to refrigerate any unused broth for future use.

Have you ever made homemade chicken broth for dogs? We welcome any additional tips you may have! If your dog is sick and dehydrated, consult your veterinarian right away. To help reduce veterinary costs in the future, consider medical pet insurance as an option and get a quote.

About Guest Blogger @Trupanion

Interested in guest blogging for Trupanion? Send us an e-mail at socialmedia@trupanion.com! Learn more at: http://trupanion.com/blog/guest-blog-for-trupanion/

12 Responses to How to Make Homemade Chicken Broth for Dogs

1. elizabeth lowenstein says:

Thank you so much for the recipe…will have Keiko have it tomorrow morning.

2. sharron says:

hi – i add store bought organic chicken broth that has 5% sodium. Is that too much? thanks

3. Julie says:

Have you had any success freezing the broth? If so for how long?

4. Eileen says:

I have a dog (Mango) with quite a few allergies. I found a recipe for a treat that I can make for him which required chicken broth. I went to the store and looked at the list of ingredients on a carton of “organic chicken broth” and found several things listed in the ingredient label that he cannot have! I have been making chicken stock for our use (cutting out processed foods). But my recipe wouldn’t be good for Mango either. I am so glad I found your recipe!! I was wondering if your recipe would work in the Crock Pot? Thank you!!

5. Barbara Nicksic says:

My cat is very sick with hyperthyroid. She won’t eat much of anything, and consequently
    often doesn’t get her Rx. Any ideas for homemade cat food and gravy? Thanks.

• Britta says:

You should absolutely take your cat to the veterinarian. Or at the very least call your veterinarian to see what the best treatment is. They will have great advice for you.

6. Alan Finney says:

Good stuff. I do something similar, but leave the fat, skin etc… in it. My dogs (German Shorthair Pointers) are in the field many hours a week and I work them 2 hours a day so I know I’m the exception to the over feeding rule. They each get about 2 cups of this fat filled broth in addition to being free fed a top of the line dry food (Merrick). I add potato’s, sweet or regular, but that decision is usually based on what is sitting around the house. I suspect that sweet potato and carrot are the most healthy (vitamin A etc…). Other than the bones, I leave it all in. Here’s another budget conscious suggestion. Buy those pre cooked chickens for $5 at Sams or Costco, debone, save the meat for yourself, everything else, into the crockpot over night along with potato if you like. Your trash just became great dog food additive! I noticed a few days ago, Costco has chicken fryers for 99c/lb basically a whole chicken already chopped up, all bones fat and skin still attached. Crock pot ready and budget conscious. Add some rosemary, pick out some of the white meat for your lunch, trash the bones, the rest for the dogs. Obviously, I love doing this. BONE appetit!

7. Lisa says:

When using store bought broth make sure that there is no onions in it as this causes irritation to the stomach. Small doses equal big problems later, including blood in the stool and sensitive stomach due to stomach scars from previous use.

8. Abby says:

Thank you so much for this recipe my pup is beyond happy with it she licks her bowl clean ! It makes me feel so much better that i know whats going in her bowl thanks again !

9. Tammy says:

Want to make this when it says remove the skin do you also remove the meat?