Pet Insurance Claim of the Week: Swallowed coins and zinc toxicity - The Trupanion Blog
Underwritten by American Pet Insurance Company
<
Sign Up for Our NewsletterGet the scoop on pet health right in your inbox.

Pet Insurance Claim of the Week: Swallowed coins and zinc toxicity

Bailey the 12 pound mixed-breed dog spent 9 days at the vet hospital after swallowing 27 cents. It may not seem like a lot, but a little bit of change can give a small dog a lot of zinc! When dogs consume too much zinc (from swallowing things like US pennies minted after 1982, bolts, nails, zippers, some lozenges, and other objects that contain zinc) they can experience zinc toxicity.

Symptoms of zinc toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, excessive hemoglobin levels in blood and urine, and orange-colored feces. Bailey’s owner first noticed vomiting and a lack of appetite. As his condition progressed, Bailey had dark orange urine which led to his veterinary visit and emergency surgery.

Bailey’s vet removed the coins from his stomach including a penny which was the culprit. Unfortunately, the zinc toxicity caused pancreatitis and anemia so Bailey had to remain at the hospital for several days to recover. His treatment included fluid therapy and a blood transfusion.

Fortunately, the little trooper was recovering well and finally allowed to return home. We hope he’s back to 100%!

Total claim amount: $10,786.00
Deductible applied: -$500
Ineligible costs (exam fee): -$159.50
10% co-insurance: -$1,012.65
Trupanion repaid: $9,113.85


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Prove you're a human: *