Just like any average dog would, Milo the 3-month-old Havanese puppy was exploring his yard. We all know how puppies love to explore their world with their mouths which often leads to them eating things they shouldn’t. In this case, Milo ingested cocoa mulch from the garden which led to him getting sick.
Similar to chocolate, cocoa mulch contains theobromine which is toxic to dogs. Treatment for chocolate ingestion typically includes inducing vomiting if the chocolate was eaten recently, or active charcoal to prevent absorption. Milo received a blood count and other diagnostic tests as well as IV fluids and hospitalization.
He is home and on the mend and we hope that’s the last of the chocolate for Milo this holiday season!
Total claim amount: $969.40
Deductible applied: -$0
Ineligible costs (exam fee): -$49.95
10% co-insurance: -$91.95
Trupanion repaid: $827.51