Pet Insurance Claim of the Week: Dog Ate Gorilla Glue

Nitro 1-year-old Shiba Inu recently made a trip to the vet because he swallowed some Gorilla Glue. Our veterinarian friend, Dr. Jason Nicholas featured the topic of Gorilla Glue and its dangers to pets on his blog a few months back.

What makes Gorilla Glue scary, and as you can see in Dr. Nicholas’ video on his blog, is what happens when it gets wet. The liquid glue expands and solidifies to form one hard mass. And as we all know, the insides of our pets are wet which means a potentially lethal combination if a pet eats Gorilla Glue. A pet cannot pass the solid glue mass which means they need immediate veterinary treatment.

Fortunately, Nitro’s owners noticed the issue and quickly got him to the vet. He received X-rays to assess the situation and was then taken into emergency surgery. Nitro’s care also included fluids, medications, and monitoring to ensure he recovered well from surgery.

Total claim amount: $2,140.00
Deductible applied: -$500
Ineligible costs (exam fee, pet food): -$83.32
10% co-insurance: -$155.67
Trupanion repaid: $1,401.01

About Stacy @Trupanion

Stacy Kowalchuk is a dog mom to her rescued Whippet-mix, Ellie. During the week, you can find Stacy surfing (the internet, that is) and managing Trupanion's presence in the social media world. In her free time, Stacy likes to bake, especially cupcakes! To balance her culinary affinity, she also likes to stay active, especially with activities that include her dog such as hiking and going to dog parks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


− 8 = 1

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>