Pet Insurance Claim of the Week: Dog Swallowed a Sock

Otto von Otters the 3-year-old Doberman Pinscher made an emergency vet visit due to swallowing a sock in this week’s featured pet insurance claim story. It isn’t uncommon for us to see claims for swallowed socks, underwear, toys, and other bits and pieces, typically by curious dogs. If a dog or cat swallows an inedible object, especially something bulky like a sock, it is important to seek immediate veterinary care to have the object surgically removed. Without treatment, the object can cause internal blockage or other complications which can ultimately lead to fatality if left untreated.

Otto arrived at the vet hospital for X-rays and stayed for two more days for surgery and recovery. We hope that he is feeling much better and keeps clothing items out of his diet from now on!

Total claim amount: $2,143.05
Deductible applied: -$55
Ineligible costs (pet food): -$13.80
10% co-insurance: -$207.42
Trupanion repaid: $1,866.83

About Stacy @Trupanion

Social Media Manager
Stacy Kowalchuk is a dog mom to her rescued Whippet-mix, Ellie. During the week, you can find Stacy surfing (the internet, that is) and managing Trupanion's presence in the social media world. In her free time, Stacy likes to bake, especially cupcakes! To balance her culinary affinity, she also likes to stay active, especially with activities that include her dog such as hiking and going to dog parks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>