Pet Insurance Claim of the Week: Ingested Aluminum Foil

Let me tell you a story about Benji the 1-year-old Goldendoodle. Benji was minding his own business, when a magnificent smell caught his nose. It was meaty and greasy and it would probably taste amazing. Being that he is a dog, Benji followed his nose to the source. What Benji found was so glorious and delicious that he gobbled it all up right away.

While it sounds like typical behavior, what Benji consumed was actually aluminum foil that was coated with grease and meat. When dogs or cats swallow inedible items, it is important to seek immediate veterinary care in case that object causes a blockage or damage to the internal organs.

Benji was in the veterinary hospital for four days for daily monitoring, medication, and radiographs to monitor the contents that he ingested. Benji received an enema to help expel the contents.

Now that he is home and recovering, we hope that he feels much better and that his owners will dog-proof the trash cans.

Total claim amount: $3,239.45
Deductible applied: -$0
Ineligible costs (Pet food, exam fee): -$110.35
10% co-insurance: -$312.91
Trupanion repaid: $2,816.19

About Stacy @Trupanion

Stacy Kowalchuk is a dog mom to her rescued Whippet-mix, Ellie. During the week, you can find Stacy surfing (the internet, that is) and managing Trupanion's presence in the social media world. In her free time, Stacy likes to bake, especially cupcakes! To balance her culinary affinity, she also likes to stay active, especially with activities that include her dog such as hiking and going to dog parks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


7 − 6 =

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>