Gus, a soft coated wheaten terrier puppy, gobbled up a box of yogurt covered raisins on the last day of his 30-day certificate coverage. The pup was admitted to the veterinary hospital for 48 hours of fluid therapy and kidney monitoring. Luckily for his owners, his timing was just right and he was still covered.
The exact toxin that makes raisins and grapes poisonous to dogs is unknown, but it can lead to lethargy, vomiting, and in some cases, renal failure.
Different dogs are affected to varying degrees, and it is important to seek veterinary care immediately. Gus was rushed to the emergency veterinary clinic to induce vomiting and receive treatment to hydrate his kidneys and prevent kidney failure.
Soon after the incident, Gus recovered and was back to being his mischievous puppy self.
Deductible applied: -$0
Ineligible costs (Exam fees): -$78
10% co-insurance: -$141.97
Trupanion repaid: $1,277.73
Thank you Lynne for letting us share Gus’ story!