Millie the 12-year-old Sheltie, like many other dogs, has a taste for human treats and baked goods. Her curious nose unfortunately got her into double trouble when she ate some marijuana brownies. These are bad for pets for two reasons: the chocolate, and the marijuana.
Chocolate contains chemicals including theobromine and caffeine, which are tolerable by humans, yet poisonous to pets. The results of consuming chocolate are similar to that of ingesting any other type of poison, which include vomiting, diarrhea, and restlessness. Marijuana ingestion can cause vomiting, depression, and in serious cases, coma. For both substances, pets should receive immediate veterinary care. (By the way, it’s okay to be honest with your veterinarian about what your pet got into. They just want to help your pet!)
Millie’s pre-approval form outlines treatment including IV fluids, monitoring, and a chemistry panel (diagnostic). The claim was approved and her veterinarian will go ahead and provide the necessary treatment depending on the severity of the situation. We hope that it is mild and that she has a quick recovery!
Total claim amount: $1,881.00
Deductible applied: -$250.00
Ineligible costs (exam fee): -$195.00
10% co-insurance: -$143.60
Eligible for coverage: $1,292.40